Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Hello Again

Hey, there you are. I was beginning to think you had pulled a major Houdini, then I remembered that it was in point of fact me who waved my wand and disappeared. I’ve been on grand adventures, attended some awesome concerts, survived soul crushing events, and basically rode the many highs and lows on this little rollercoaster we call life.

Before I go much further, I would like to point out that I haven’t completely isolated myself from the online community, I just haven’t had the time to sit down and right a full-fledged blog. I’ve been caught up a bit in the whole Face Book epidemic and I do post occasional updates There.

It’s not that I’ve grown bored with blogging. On the contrary, I miss it greatly. It’s just that I’ve been working in excess of 80 hours per week for far too long and I just don’t have the time to devote to it yet. Fear not, though, loyal reader. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. The project that is eating up so much of my time, should be letting up by the middle of May.

I will try to post at least once a month and hope for at least once a week until then.

Here’s a brief rundown of how February went:
Snow, lots and lots of effing white stuff causi
ng me grief with my weekly travels. I’ve had to get rental cars and drive from airports on several occasions, because they cancelled my flights. One of these trips caused me to boycott Avis, because they gouged me for nearly a thousand dollars to rent a car to get home and made me drive it all the way back to the airport I rented it from or it would be reported stolen. Nice folks, huh? I called and complained and they explained that all of the extra charges were justified. I just told them I was sorry to hear that. I didn’t mention that I was the owner of my company and not only will I not be using them anymore. No one who works for me will be using them either…

You wanna hear the real kicker here? I had finally made it to DFW after several delays out of Baton Rouge. I was put on standby because I missed my connecting flight due to the delay in BR, but as luck would have it, they loaded me on a plane about three hours after I landed. They closed the door and we waited and waited and I said, “They’re about to tell us this flight’s cancelled too.”

There was a soldier sitting behind me that said I had to be wrong. He was taking 15 days of leave from a tour in Iraq and really wanted to get to Tulsa. Sure enough, they pulled us back off the plane and I told him, we’d rent a 4 wheel drive and I’d give him a lift home. We made as far as a point between Denison and Sherman, when hit some fairly major ice on the roads.

Apparently Texans, have never seen the slick stuff before, because they were still driving 90 to nothing. As a bridge crept into sight, a semi lost control and sent cars careening everywhere. There was a cement divider running down the middle of the highway and several of them crunched into it. We narrowly avoided several vehicles spinning out of control, made it to the shoulder, jumped out and rendered aid to the injured until police and EMTs could arrive. We eventually made it home safe and sound, but when I returned the rental, I was reminded that no good deed goes unpunished, and if you do two of them, well prepare to be punished thoroughly. I was charged nearly double what the estimate said it would be (which was outrageous to begin with, but I didn’t really see any other choice, because the airline said they couldn’t get me home until Saturday night and I had to fly back out again on Sunday).

But enough about that…
My wife flew out to Baton Rouge (she was delayed nearly thirty hours before she actually arrived because of the snow) and we attended our first ever Mardi Gras in New Orleans. It was… an experience. Good times, crazy times, probably the only time, but I’m glad we went.

Soul crushing events? I’m not even going to give them any more of my sanity by committing them to paper.

I had another flight cancelled, this time due to rain and I had to drive from Dallas to Baton Rouge. That was a fun day. I set the cruise at 90, cranked up the radio and just let my mind wander for about seven hours.

But, I still get to come home every weekend and I even get to fly out on Thursday nights instead of Friday, so that helps. We are still playing lots of Guitar Hero 5 (my wife loves to play them drums) and trying to push as much fun into our time together as possible.

I’ve also managed to see a few great bands last month. Some memorable ones were Suckerpunch, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin and a rather uncanny Elvis impersonator.

So, what have you been up to?

7 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger Donnetta Lee said...

Hi there, James: Oh, my you have been busy! Hubby and I missed much of the bad weather as we were down in Florida. We've been preparing the house there for sale. Finally, it's on the market. I wonder how long it will take? Economy is not good there. Ah, well. Good to see you out and about. Take care. D

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger David Niall Wilson said...

Hey James...a certain bad-buy is back in print - digitally, anyway. The Orffyreus Wheel is doing pretty good as an e-Book ... just saying. You make a great evildoer.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger lime said...

the gouging folks at avis would have infuriated me. and i totally would have told them they'd never be getting my company's business again.

i'm so sorry about whatever soul crushing things you have endured but glad you've lived to tell the tale (and weren't injured in any of those crazy accidents).

glad you are getting at least an extra day at home each week.

me? i changed jobs...thank god! because the other one was beyond horrid. transferred a kid from one school to another and life goes on....

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Mona said...

I tell you, ( and you ought to believe it too) that all those ghosts and evil forces that have chosen particularly Oklahoma to reside in, are at work. It is not those rain and snow that are setting you back and all those vehicles careeining...
I wonder what shape Kyle is taking this time...how far has he/she got to yet...

I have been buried in books too keeping ghosts of Hamlet company. I read two Shakespeare plays one day and 46 Blake poems the next day. So I decided to go easy this weekend and landed on the Duchess of Malfi and the School for Scandal.( Although I bet that would be nothing to match your Mardi Gras!):D

((HUGS))

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Mona said...

and yea, I was wondering, where you had been. Your blog page has actually begun to 'yellow' a bit ;)

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Jenn Darlin' said...

Apparently when you waved your wand it made me disappear, too!

Are you addicted to Facebook, if so, we can have an intervention.

I love snow, but we only ever get enough to just make our daily lives run behind. Never enough to go throw at each other or stay home all day. And it always melts within hours if that. Mother Nature has been quite the beast lately.

P.S. What song is that I'm hearing?! I'm positive it's coming from your blog!

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Hi Donnetta, you’re so lucky you missed the bad weather. My dad called me the other day and was wanting me to go halfsies with him on a winter house down in Florida, because of how cheap the houses are going for in the area he wants to buy. He still lives in Delaware and is pretty much sick of the snow. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that your home sells quickly. :D

Hey Dave, I’m so glad you’ve brought this around. It was really cool getting to be a character in someone else’s novel. :D Ok, everybody. Go check out this book so you can see what kind of paces David puts me through. :D

Yeah, Lime. I’m so glad you’ve got a new job. Few things are more miserable than spending the majority of your time someplace you absolutely despise. :D

Lol, Mona. Yes, I believe evil forces are conspiring against me. I dare say getting lost in the pages of a good book is almost as good an adventure as actually being there. :D

Hey Jenn, Welcome back. I will endeavor to be more careful with my magic wand, lol. I’m not sure which song was playing as I have a mini jukebox embedded in my blog and it chooses songs randomly. Ah, yes. When I used to live up in Albuquerque the snow was rare and never lasted long. :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.