Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Weekend (Monthly) Recap

Well, we are nearing the end of January and I am still balancing a rather grueling schedule down in lovely Baton Rouge. I had hoped to be wrapping up loose ends by now, but I’ve been asked to extend my current contract until the middle of April and I am trying to figure out a way to accommodate. I’ve been juggling my projects to the point, it looks like I can commit until the end of March. After that… well, hopefully we will have corrected enough of the problems that I can sneak away quietly and not worry about them being able to bring the plant to completion.

Other than that, I’m still getting to come home every weekend, but they seem to be getting shorter and shorter. I miss being home during the week. I miss getting a kiss to send me off to work and a kiss to send me off to sleep. I miss helping my son with his homework (other than on the phone). The list goes on and on, but the thing I miss the most? Companionship. There is something utterly depressing about going back to a hotel room at night, working on various projects until I start nodding off and then going to bed alone. This project was a real boon for my company and the proceeds will do wonders for putting other phases into motion ahead of schedule, but it is definitely take a toll on me.

On the plus side, between my working multiple projects at once and the scheduling problems we’ve run into with my wife’s job, we found ourselves in a position where my wife was able to go back to her employer and have her schedule adjusted. They negotiated a deal to where she no longer works nights, weekends nor holidays. She also can work as little as 24 hours in a given week depending on her workload.

On the writing side, I have high hopes of finishing up the sequel to The Dance by the end of summer and have it ready for release in the fall. I’ve woefully neglected my book promotions over the last year and have high hopes of doing more to try to find readers for them this year.

Well, that pretty much sums up the last month.

So, what have you been up to while I was away?

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger Anny Cook said...

Hey, James! Good to hear from you again.

The house hunk is retiring in two days. It was rather sudden due to a surprise retirement incentive offer.

And finished my vampire book. Hoping to send it off this weekend.

Congratulations on your contracts and best wishes with the work load! Keep up the good work!

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger lime said...

i can well imagine that schedule would wear mighty thin. i am sorry to hear you have to endure it. i hope it's better sooner rather than later. glad to know at l east your wife was able to get a better setup.

me? i dunno where january has gone. it's just been crazy.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Marta Stephens said...

James! No wonder I haven't seen much of you on the Net. I came across this post through a Google Alert on my name. :)

I can only imagine how your work schedule must wear on you. On the bright side, it seems there is an end in site.

Good to know you still have time to write. I'm working on a new novel (not part of the Harper series though). I challenged myself this year to blog about my writing and editing experiences with this novel on my Prose and Musings blog, http://mstephens-musings.blogspot.com/ Stop by when you can. I was working on the 3rd round of edits when I started to make major (good) changes to the plot which in turn altered several chapters. Right now the edits feel like the movie, "Groundhog Day" -- same thing, different day.

Take care,
Marta

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

Hi James! I was going to ask how you are but after reading your post I am assuming you are tired plus some.

It is good your wife was able to change her schedule and hopefully the end of March will be here quickly and you can do that sneaking off quietly thing.

What have I been up to? Well I have been working, being sick, taking care of my sick family, working, preparing for football sign-ups, watching Ty play basketball and the list goes on. We have actually been extremely busy as well even through the sickness we had but thank God we are over all that, now we are just busy.

Take care and be safe in your travels! =)

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Mona said...

looking forward to reading the sequel

Am busy with my preparation for a competitive examination for a good permanant job prospect.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.