Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, October 05, 2009

Crazy Like a Fox

I quit my day job… It seems like a bit of insanity in our current economic climate, but I put in my two weeks notice and that two weeks will be up this Friday. What could be crazier than that? I’ve also decided to start my own business in this same crappy economy.

I’ve done a lot of research and to be honest a lot of soul searching as well over the last several months. The result is that I feel like I am at a point in my life where starting my own business just makes sense. I’ve been working as an engineering consultant and an integrator for the last three years, but I’ve been working in my industry for closer to a dozen years. In that time I’ve formed some fantastic working relationships and have built something of a name for myself in my area of expertise.

I will miss having the umbrella of the EPC firm I’ve been working for to shield me during the slow times, but to be honest the slow times have been few and far between while I worked for them. Having said that, I don’t foresee a lot of slow times for my new business either. When I turned in my two weeks notice, my boss advised me of some projects coming up next month and wanted to know if I would be available to help with them on a contract basis. My point is, don’t worry about me, this move isn’t as crazy as it seems.

As of Monday October 13th, I will be launching Orion Industrial Services, LLC. It is an exciting time and yes, to be honest a bit scary as well. Please keep your fingers crossed for the success of my new business.

I spent the better part of last week on the road. I had an emergency trip down to Belle Chasse, Louisiana which required copious amounts of time while I was there. I actually clocked in one 18 hour day during the mix and none were less than 13 hours. By the time I returned home, I was quite beat, so we didn’t do much at all over the weekend.

Most of the weekend was spent lounging and watching football. This, my final week with my current company, is shaping up to be a humdinger as well. I have lots of loose ends to tie up and a few new ones to create.

So, how was your weekend?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger G-Man said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I know it does seem crazy, but every success story in the world was due to a little luck, lots of hard work, and risk!
Bon Chance Mon Ami....Galen

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger lime said...

wow! that's exciting! i wish you all the best. if you're going to be busier than a one legged man in an asss kicking contest it might as well be for your own benefit and your own business.

i enjoyed a fairly laid back weekend too because i know next weekend will be insane.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Anny Cook said...

Congratulations on your new business. Know it's scary around the edges but I have every confidence that you can make it all work successfully.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Mona said...

That sounds great! I wish you all the best in whatever you do! I am sure, that with your kind of hard working spirit and motivation, you will touch great heights!

(hugs)

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

Congratulations James! You will do beautifully with your new business. 11 years ago my husband done the exact same thing you are doing except his was a hardwood flooring company and today he is still in business, well liked and well known and he loves it.

Keep us updated on how things are going.

Good luck!

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Donnetta Lee said...

You are so brave, James, and so to be admired. Good luck with everything. I'm sure this will be successful. You are hard working and creative. What a formula for success. Best of luck! D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.