Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Book Review: The Devil Can Wait

I recently had the pleasure of reading The Devil Can Wait by Marta Stephens. This is a masterfully written tale that rides the border between hard boiled crime mystery and an all out thriller. Her pacing was impeccable and her plotting more so. From the first page her characters reach out, grab you and refuse to let go until the bitter end. She creates the story with such realism, one almost forgets it is a work of fiction. I highly recommend this book to one and all. If you have enjoyed reading any of my books, you will love The Devil Can Wait.




Blurb:

The city of Chandler, Massachusetts is plunged into terror when the bodies of three local teenagers wash ashore. While homicide detective Sam Harper hunts down the guilty, a sinister plot emerges overseas. From the Vatican to the jungles of South America, a cursed black pearl ring, the demonic prophecy it represents, and the men who pursue its powers find their unfortunate way onto Harper's turf.
Enthralled by the ring's story and a front-page spread, newspaper reporter Jennifer Blake agrees to pick up the ring at a local pawnshop for her former college professor. When she does, unforeseen events shoot Blake to the top of Harper's prime suspect list. Soon, the seemingly unrelated cases converge and the heat is on for Harper to expose the truth behind a Vatican secret and stop the self-righteous man who does the unthinkable in the name of God.





Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars




Labels:

4 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger Marta Stephens said...

James, I just received a Google Alert about your post. I'm SO happy to know you enjoyed "The Devil Can Wait!" What a wonderful review. If you don't mind, I'd like to add this to the list of reivews on my webstie. www.martastephens-author.com .

As a PS: "The Devil Can Wait," is a 2009 Independent Publishers Book Awards (IPPY) Bronze Medal Winner. I'm blogging about it tomorrow on Murder By 4! http://murderby4.blogspot.com. Stop by, better yet, come be a guest again! ;)

Many thanks!
Marta

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Oh, absolutely. Add away. :D

Wow! congrats on the award it is definately deserved. I thoroughly enjoyed the read. :D

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I've read this book too, and I loved it. I had my hubby buy me the first book in this series as a gift because I wanted to get to know Sam right from the beginning.

Thanks for a great review.

Cheryl

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Mona said...

sounds like a great read! :)

I am saving yours for the 25 hour flight back to India. It will make the journey not only bearable but exciting!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.