Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, June 29, 2009

Weekend Recap

This is a better pace. I’m down to only having two active projects for my day job. I peaked at juggling eleven and to be honest, it nearly burnt me out. I managed to snag a promotion through the ordeal, so at least the efforts didn’t go unnoticed. I am officially an Engineering Project Manager now.

I am working from home all but one day this week and really looking forward to it. It seems that I get a lot more work done when I’m not onsite with a client. Fewer distractions would be the only reason I can come up with.

My wife, the poor soul, has started working a rotating shift at her job. She is the manager of catalyst development for a lab, but they have a rather important project come up and the owner asked everyone to go to twelve hour shifts to get the unit up and running. Of course, being a member of the management team she is own salary, so she gets to work her extra hours (including the night shifts) for free.

Thankfully, the schedule worked out to where she averages only forty two hours a week and she has guaranteed days off, which she didn’t have before. It was not uncommon for her to work eleven and twelve days straight before the shift work began.

Why do I bring this up? Well, she will be working the night shift starting Thursday this week and it is a four day jaunt. Yep, she will be working nights over the holiday weekend.

Speaking of weekends, ours was a blast. My wife was off for Friday and Saturday this week, so we made the best of it.

Friday my wife, son and I had a whirlwind Guitar Hero World Tour session. We had planned to go see a baseball game, but with the record heat wave, we decided against it. The heat index for that evening was still 106 F by seven o’clock that night.

Some of our dear friends had recently returned from an Alaskan cruise. So, we met them for dinner and proceeded to be regaled with tales of their adventures and I set up or PS3 to show the pictures they brought in a slideshow to watch while they told us of the trip.

Saturday we headed off to the lake. We had three boat loads full of people and a rocking good time. We had a boat designated for tubing, one for skiing and mine we used for wakeboarding and kneeboarding. Taking the occasional break, we tied all the boats together and just hung out in the middle of the lake.

After we were all good and baked, we loaded everyone up and came back to our house for another Guitar Hero World Tour marathon and some grilled steaks, sausages and hotlinks. A good time was had by all.

Sunday, I hung out at the house, while my wife sauntered off to work. My nephew stayed the night with us, so he and my son played video games while I smoothed the edges on a completed rough draft of a new novel.
Other than that, it was a fairly routine weekend. How did you spend yours?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Blogger lime said...

what what a whirlwind for both work and play! i'm glad things seem to be evening out for you and hope your wife's new schedule doesn't drive her too crazy.

my weekend was spent taking a couple of teen girls on many shopping adventures since one just got a big fat paycheck and the other had a bunch of birthday moolah.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Mona said...

Congratulations for the promotion!

106 degrees! That is majorly hot!

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger G-Man said...

Walleye fishing..Walleye eating!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.