Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Rant of Sorts...

I wonder what the world has in store for us or where I place will be in it in the future. There is no doubt the economy has been in crisis for quite some time. Have we seen the worst of it? Crime is rising almost as fast as the unemployment rate. The cost of living is going up and the average family income is going down. I still see signs of prosperity, but they are always overshadowed by stories of family struggling just to get by.

Sure, the government has tried to step in to turn everything around, but is it really working or is it just a really expensive band-aid with poor adhesive? Of course this help won’t come without a price. It’s a price we won’t likely have to pay, but the U.S. has put itself into such a deep financial hole, we may not recover fully in my life time. I truly feel sorry for our kids and grandkids that will have to shoulder the brunt of this burden. Well, if we survive as a country that is. We have weakened ourselves to the point that it is no longer out of the question that America could fall victim to a hostile takeover without a single bullet being fired. We are corporate America and I think we’ve all seen examples of one corporation buying another’s debts to bend them to their will. How long before someone tries to put a leash on the mighty giant?

I look at my son and I wonder if he will have the same opportunities I’ve had. Will he have the same freedoms I enjoy? Will his world be a better place than mine? Will his children be safe?

So, I want to know your thoughts. Have we seen the worst of it? Do you think we are taking the right steps to get the economy back on track? What would you do different if you were in charge?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger lime said...

have we seen the worst of it in the short term? it's hard to tell. in the long term i am convinced we ain't seen nothin yet. i too am saddened for our kids and grandkids over what they may inherit.

how to fix it? i don't think there are easy answers but having folks in charge who are completely out of touch with reality doesn't work.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

I fear you're right, Lime. My wife and I used to joke, that we were just be prepped to be intergrated into the one world government (The European Union is a good start in that direction it looks like), but sadly we don't even have that as an out. With our current deficient were are not elible to even be absorbed by one of the 27 members already holding office in that community.

I think the only way we can turn this thing around is by less government and more freedom. You want to fix the economy put more money in the hands of people who will actually spend it, instead of giving it to those who more likely need it to pay off debt and are more often then not already receiving government subsidies.

Don't tax the middle class to death, give them some play money and by golly I bet they will pour it all back into the economy while they are playing... I know I would. :D

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Anny Cook said...

In my other life I was marginally involved in training the unemployed. What I observed there prepared me for the current situation in our country.

We've heard a lot about job creation, but so far, nothing much is happening, is it?

It all makes me want to dig a bunker somewhere and crawl in.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Mona said...

It truly is a dismal scene. I can see huge outlets like Albertson's and Circuit house closing down here. The malls are practically empty and groceries have stale stuff ( due to lack of sales) as compared to the last time I was here.

I just hope things would improve soon. Concern for our kids is everywhere I guess...

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger G-Man said...

The infra-structure is already in place...I'm sure we can weather this, but I don't know when.
It's some pretty scary times for sure. I just thank my lucky stars that I've been at the same dealership for 22 years. People still need transportation, and I have a decent customer base.
I hope you can honor us with a 55 Friday James,You've been missed!!
Galen

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

With my husband owning a hardwood flooring company we have felt the declining economy in a bad way however, things are starting to flow a bit more . Counties around us are seeing an increase in building permits but does that mean the economy is getting better? No I don't think so...it just means that people aren't so afraid to spend money as they were two or three months ago. Also I know things are in a bad way right now but I also think the media makes it sound worse because in this day and time it seems anything negative is really blown up and talked to death and that seems to bring on higher ratings which causes the stations to do more negative...if that makes sense to you?

Our children complained during the cold weather because schools around here were turning down thermostats to help lower electric bills so we just layered more clothes on the kids, I guess we do what we have to in tough times but I pray that the economy does get better.

Hope you have a great week! :)

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

No, Anny I haven't seen any sign of those jobs yet. My brother is now counting himself among the unemployed and says it's looking bleak out there...

I hear you, Mona. There are quite a few businesses here that haven't even been open that long that have closed there doors and yes the concern is most definately universal.

Thank goodness for that, G-Man I'm also in a position where I should be safe. I hope we see the upswing soon.

It makes perfect sense, Breazy. Glad to hear you are seeing things start to loosen up your way. I hope you have a great week too.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.