Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, April 13, 2009

Weekend Recap

It has been an interesting week. I had to fly down to New Orleans last Monday to do some work at a plant in Belle Chasse. As I was driving the rental car to the plant I received a phone call telling me that the plant experienced a global shutdown and that I wouldn’t be able to get into any of the units. I was off to a great start.

So, I checked into the hotel and called my counterpart on the project to see if he heard the news. Not only had he heard it he was part of it. He told me he arrived early and went to the plant to begin work. The shutdown occurred while he was up on one of the gigantic heaters in the heart of the refinery. When an unscheduled shutdown like that happens, not only will they not let people into the plant, they don’t let them out, so he was stuck on the inside until further notice. Needless to say, I had the better part of that deal.

When they finally cut him loose, we decided to go explore the cemeteries in New Orleans. As you may or may not know, the water tables of the city are too high to bury their dead, they just come right back out of the ground if you try. So, they are laid to rest in intricately decorated above ground tombs. We spent several hours on a self guided tour of the cities of the dead.

Walking among the tombs for so long built up a mighty thirst, so we made our way down to Bourbon Street for some music and drinks.

We spent the rest of my time there trying to get into units only to be told that it they needed a few more hours before it was safe for us to enter (each time we asked, it was the same response), so we had to stay onsite, but couldn’t do the work I needed to do.

I flew home Thursday and spent some time with my wife and son. Sadly, it was my son’s weekend to visit his mother, so I only had a few hours with him before I had to kiss him goodbye.

Friday we went to lunch with some friends at one of our favorite downtown spots, McNellie’s. After lunch, we had some family issues I was asked to intervene in, so we spent the rest of the afternoon sorting those out.

Friday night we went to see a concert. Nickelback, Seether and Saving Abel put on an awesome show. I’d be hard pressed to pick a favorite, but I will say that Nickelback sounds even better live than they do on their CD, which is no small feat.

Saturday we loaded up with a few friends and drove up to Joplin Missouri for a small getaway. It was a blast. The highlight was a trip to Turtlehead’s, a little restaurant that is off the beaten path. The place features oyster shooters of various flavors and a menu overflowing with Cajun fare.

Sunday we drove back from Joplin, picked up my son and spent the evening doing family stuff and resting from the long week. We didn’t attend any of the traditional Easter weekend celebrations, but we had a good time none the less.

So, how did you spend the holiday weekend?

8 Comments:

At 6:12 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I envy you. I know it is wrong to envy but I do. I love New Orleans and their cultures. And their awesome cemetaries. I also envy your concert. Nickelback is my favorite, yet I missed it. I'm glad you had a good time and enjoyed the arena. Nice, huh?

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger lime said...

ugh, sorry for the shutdowns and family crises. those are no fun. glad however to hear about the great concert and the little getaway.

our weekend was laid back which felt good after several in a row that past by with such busy schedules there was no time to relax. yesterday was extended family time which i thoroughly enjoyed.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Mona said...

O dear, that shutdown thing was sad!

Spring break ppl descended on us to visit mt BIL who is back home now.

I may be here for quite some while yet...

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Anny Cook said...

Ah, glad you were able to use your shutdown time wisely! So glad you had a nice weekend. Ours was verrrry quiet, thank goodness. And we were especially thankful as our son lives in Mena and we heard late Saturday evening that he and the family were all right.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Donnetta Lee said...

Hi, James! You are always SO busy. We did some shopping on Saturday and I went to the Spirit Fair in OKC with an old friend. Had a good time. Easter, I made hubby a special meal and we just took it easy all day. Nice and peaceful. Good to see you! D

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger KellyMarstad said...

Looks like you blog about as often as I do anymore. LOL.

So when they lock you in like that, is it for hours or days? And do they have facilities to put you up for overnights within the plant?

Can you tell us what happened to cause the shutdown? Dang. I'm super-curious.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Anny Cook said...

Hope all is well with you and your family, James! Happy May Day!

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Hi Carrie, lol. I know how to overcome the envy… you all will have to come with us on some of our adventures sometime. :D

Thanks, Lime. That sounds like a much needed break in the schedule. Some of my favorite weeks have been ones where I was as laid back as possible. :D

Hi Mona, glad to hear your BIL is home at last. I hope he continues to have great strides in his recovery. I wish your sister and BIL lived closer, it seems like a shame to have you in the states and yet not have an opportunity to meet you in person. :D

Hi Anny, glad to hear your son and his family are alright.

Hi Donnetta, that sounds like a lot of fun! It’s good to see you as well. :D

Lol, Kelly… yep, I haven’t felt much up to the task of late, but I’m hoping to turn it around this week. :D As far as the lock ups, it depends on the nature of the crisis, I’ve heard of incidents were the people were locked in for a week and yeah, they set up sleeping quarters and do what they can to supply food. The shutdown was caused by a malfunction from the electric company and that’s all I’m at liberty to really say in a public forum… :D

Hi Anny (again lol). The family and I are doing ok, everyday is getting a bit better in the big scheme of things. I hope all is well with you and yours also.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.