Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Dar-Wednesday and a Meme

That’s right, it is time for another installment of The Darwin Awards.



Man sticks rattlesnake in mouth to prove a point."


(August 2007, Oregon) An amateur snake collector caught a 20-inch rattlesnake on the highway. Three weeks later, his captive took its revenge. The formerly fearless snake charmer admitted, "You can assume alcohol was involved."


He had a six-pack under his belt, and was consuming what he described as "a mixture of stupid stuff" at a barbecue. The calamity was precipitated when he handed a beer to his ex, using the same hand that held the rattlesnake.


"Get that thing out of my face," she said.


He protested, "It's a nice snake. Nothing can happen. Watch!" Famous last words. As they left his mouth, his fate was sealed.


One month later, still sore from muscle and nerve damage from the venom, the 23-year-old admitted that he stuck the snake in his mouth to prove his point. Instead, he disproved his point, for the snake bit him. He had no time for embarrassment. In great pain and gasping for breath, he asked his ex to drive him to the hospital. "She was the only one sober," he explained.


He was unconscious by the time he arrived, his swollen tongue protruding from his mouth. Physicians performed a tracheotomy to restore airflow to his lungs, and administered antivenin. He was kept heavily sedated for several days. When the swelling went down, "we let him wake up," his doctor reported.


The Poison Control Center sees about 50 snakebite victims a year. Generally they are injected on the legs while hiking, or arms while reaching under a rock. Few are bitten on the tongue.


His friends were blunt. "They were, like, what the heck were you thinking?" His answer? "It's my own stupidity."








Tag rules:
1) Link to the person that tagged you. Kelly Kirch
2) Post the rules on your blog.
3) List six unspectacular quirks you have.
4) Tag six bloggers by linking them.
5) Leave a comment on each person's blog to let them know they've been tagged.

Oddities:
1. When I shop, I organize things in my basket by temperature and content and I load them on the conveyer the same way.
2. I still like to play video games and I’ve also been known to play with toys with my son.
3. I can use my feet like hands. My wife says I have an opposable toe. I pick up things, and can even write with them.
4. I have a 78 inch reach, but I’m only 69 inches tall.
5. I am a huge prankster and have no qualms about setting up a prank anytime, anywhere… even in a boardroom.
6. I am perpetually early for every meeting or get together and it annoys the hell out of me when people are late.

As for tags… I tag anyone who wants to give this a shot, just let me know if you play along so I can see your answers. :D

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 5:18 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I'm glad I am not his girlfriend.

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol, yeah the shame alone would be enough to end the relationship. :D

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Mona said...

It is true that when you have a heavy loss a-coming, the first thing you lose is your mind!

What a vain person tch tch!

James, do you know? there used to be what is called Vish Kanya in Old Indian Times. Vish Kanya means , Poisonous Virgin. These were beautiful young girls who soon after their birth were administered poison in granular degree. They were given snake poison periodically, starting very tiny amount at first, & then they would increase the amount as they grew. Later, they would have their 'refill' by making a snake bite on their tongue!
These women were specially used as 'biological weapon' by the kings. They would send them to their rivals as a gift of a courtesan , who would 'entertain' the king and could kill him with one venomous kiss!

You can write with your toes? I have been thinking of trying painting with mine!
So like you to be a prankster! I loved playing pranks too, till I was a student!

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger Mona said...

I hope your ankle is feeling better?

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Wow, Mona. I've heard variations of the Vish Kanya before, but I never knew a name for it. Thanks for sharing. :D

Oh, I haven't tried painting yet. Maybe when my ankle heals the rest of the way, I'll have to give it a go. :D

It is better, but not quite back to normal yet. I have high hopes of 90% functionality by this weekend. :D

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Breazy said...

The snake man deserves to get bit for even thinking about holding one of those evil serpent...shivers!

as for the tag...
I was tagged by Mona so I just posted mine. You and I have more in common than we knew. Here are the things we have in common...

1. this irritates my husband to no end because he thinks you should just put all of your items on the conveyor belt but I want them bagged in an organized manner.

2. I do the same. It is nothing for my son and I to have a SSX Tricky (snowboarding) battle nor is it a big deal if I play office with them or whatever.

5. I believe that laughing is good for the heart and soul. Also if you are pulling pranks on other then those others are thinking of ways to get you back even better which leads to you trying to out smart them so it keeps the mind sharp to always be on guard.

6. being late is something I can't tolerate. I would rather miss than be late.

I am laughing at number four because I am only 60.5 inches tall so my reach isn't much more than that.

Hope you have a great day!

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger lime said...

well i have kissed a snake or two in my day but never the venomous reptilian sort. what a dope.

as for you quirks i totally agree on #1 and i share your #3 skill to a degree. i've never tried writing but i do pick stuff up all the time. that combined with your incredible reach may qualify you as an ape man, ya know?

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Kelly Kirch said...

I do one and three too!!! It's the ONLY way to make sure your items are bagged correctly or that they are within reasonable reach while you bag them. And three? Mom was the same way. My brother and I grew up thinking it was normal to use feet like hands when possible.

Another weird trait? my toes wiggle all the time. Eating, reading, shoe-d they wiggle a lot because I'm thinking.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger ciara said...

a man admitting his own stupidity...what a rare occasion LOL

as for the meme:

#3-i'd rather not know about feet. unlike our friend the g-man, i DON'T have a foot fetish. i hate feet LOL

#4-do your knuckles drag on the ground? lol

#5-in the bedroom? what does your wife have to say about that? oh, my bad..that said BOARDroom

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol, Breazy he does at that. I'll swing by and check out your meme today. :D

lol, Lime. I do have a fairly convincing ape mime routine I do. :D

Cool Kelly, I'm glad to know there are more of us out there using our feet. :D

lol, Ciara. No, my knuckles still have plenty of clearance. :D and oddly enough, I've been known to pull a prank or two in the bedroom as well. :D

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger snowelf said...

Hey James,

Just one more reason to have a designated driver!! ;) And look at you with your super organized shopping habits :P

The book you reviewed sounds really good.

--snow

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.