Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, May 05, 2008

Weekend Recap

It was another quiet weekend at our house. It almost had the feel of the calm before the storm. It’s finally starting to get warm enough to get out and do things. Summertime is usually a flurry of activity and I look forward to those manic times spent with family and friends. I don’t care if we’re wakeboarding, riding, having big back yard BBQ bashes (say that three times fast) or attending one of dozens of outdoor concerts as long we are busy doing something before the bitter cold drives back into the house to hibernate for the winter. The bear is awake and I’m hungry for some excitement.

We watched a few movies, worked out, made the two hour trip to Okmulgee and back… twice and listened to whole lot of music. I worked on my roof a bit, patching a few spots I thought might leak in the coming storms. I’m still a good week away from having the roofers come out and replace the entire thing.

Oh, and managed to finish the rough draft of my latest WIP. I’m just going to set on it for a couple of days then I can retrace my steps, clean it up and a few more details before sending that puppy off to my publisher. I can’t believe how quickly I managed to pump this one out. Once the story started flowing, it was like a juggernaut on a down hill slope.

It all but consumed me. Even when I wasn’t writing on the story, I was thinking about it. It got under my skin and demanded to be the center of attention. It is an odd sensation.

Well, I have a lot to catch up on this morning, so I’ll keep this short. How did you spend your weekend?

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 6:28 AM, Blogger Kelly Kirch said...

Hey sweet-stuff. I love when a story takes over like that! It's an incredible feeling. Congrats on finishing it.

Just so ya know, I DID repeat that backyard bbq thing three times. I don't know why. It's not like you'd know if I didn't. :) Still, I saw the challenge and I took the challenge.

This weekend I wrote like a mad woman, cared for a sick kid, watched some movies at home, and basically prayed for warm weather. *shiver* Please send some our way.

Very glad you and yours made it safely out of that storm.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

Thanks, Kelly. It is an incredible feeling. :D It's like your fingers are possessed or something... :D

lol, it's hard to pass up a good challenge, no?

I'll send some warmth your way. I think ours (or at least I hope) is finally here to stay. :D

Thanks, the storm was down right wicked. I had to laugh while I was doing the patch work on the roof. The area that received the damage is very steep (almost steeple like if you will. :D ), the whole time I was up there, my wife was giving me words of encouragement like, "Baby, be careful. You're gonna fall. Maybe you can get a roofer out here to do that. Baby, please don't break your neck." It was too cute. :D

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Kelly Kirch said...

Ha!!! I completely understand your wife's concern. When Scott ventures onto the roof, I go inside and start praying. He's not a coordinated guy on solid ground so it just plan wrecks me when he fidgits with the roof.

I hope you hugged her afterward!

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

lol, for me it's not a lack of coordination. You may not have noticed, but I'm a big guy. Steep angle + big mass = equals minimal amount of slippage before gravity sends mass hurling toward edge of roof, lol. :D I certainly did give her a hug after I was safely on the ground. :D

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger lime said...

re: the above comments...in addition to the physics lesson i am betting the pool chemical incident and the achilles tendon injury are on your wife's mind (particularly as it applies to maintaining one's balance on a steep slope).

our weekend was about baseball and SATs. it was mostly good. :)

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

lol, yeah... I had a patch of bad luck there, didn't I, Lime? :D


Ah, yes. I can feel the pride for your son, in your post. I'm happy for you both. :D

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Akelamalu said...

You had a really busy weekend! I planted up some hanging baskets on Friday, we went out with friends Sat and Sun evening and I finished planting up some pots today - yes the weather has finally bucked up here!

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

Oh, yeah... I'm so stoked about the warmer weather. There are just so many more things one can do when the weather cooperates. :D

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger G-Man said...

Much of the same James, working around the house!
I never did ask you what kind of bike you have..

I owned 3 Honda's before I owned my Harley, and I never had a bit of problems with any of them.

Obsessed with a story line is awesome!
Keep it up....G

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

Tis the season to catch up on all the stuff we put off when it was too cold, right? :D

I have a Yamaha V-Star Silverado edition (with the studded saddle bags and all that). It's an 1100 and so far it has been bullet proof. I've had to tighten the clutch cable about a month after I bought it, other than that... only routine maintenance. I love that bike. :D

lol, it is awesome. That has only happened a few times, but it is a beautiful thing when it does. At that point, the story practically writes itself. :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.