Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Thieving Bastards

The weekend was full of ups and downs. Saturday afternoon, my son came home from riding his bike, dropped it in the yard and came in to get a drink and cool down for a bit. When he came back out, a foreign red scooter was lying in where his treasured bike had been earlier. Yep, no bike. Some punk ass, no account, lower than low scumbag, took my son’s bicycle in the middle of the afternoon. We did a circuit around the block to see, if they had just took it for a joyride like they apparently did with the scooter, but we couldn’t find it in any yards.

That evening we went to a friend of ours birthday party. We shot pool, talked smack, ate well and just generally enjoyed each other’s company. It was a blast, but I kept thinking back to the little bastards who’ve defiled my personal space.

Saturday night we had another rather severe windstorm blow through. I felt a bit like the big bad wolf was hanging out in my yard. He was huffing and puffing and it sounded like my house would indeed come down.

Sunday morning I went outside to check on the damage and I’d lost another twenty or so sheets of shingles from various parts of the roof. I’d planned to get up early and make my proper rounds for Mother’s Day, but it looked like Mother Nature had other plans for me. I went to the hardware store (scouring the ditches and yards for my son’s bike along the way) and bought a couple of bundles of shingles and set about patching up my roof… again. This is the third time this spring where we’ve had damage from the high winds. We are supposed to have our entire roof replaced, but all of the contractors were inundated with requests after the first storm a month ago so it’s taking forever to get anyone out here. I’m hoping they can get started this week.

After the roof incident, we took another sweep through the whole neighborhood looking for the bike. Still no dice, so I showered up and went to visit my mom for Mother’s Day. After a nice visit, we came back and walked another lap around the hood and found out through the various people we encountered that there were three teenagers running amok around here all afternoon on Sunday and that several kids have bikes missing and one lady even had her lawnmower carried away.

When we got home, I called the police. Now it becomes a waiting game.

And with all the hubbub, I didn’t get a chance to make a post yesterday so, here’s a belated Happy Mother’s Day to all of you wonderful mothers out there.

How was your weekend?

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 6:54 AM, Blogger Anny Cook said...

No stolen bikes, but I remember those days. Almost the exact same thing happened to me forty years ago. Propped my bike by the back door so I could run into the kitchen to get a drink... came back outside and it was gone. Sigh.

Never did get it back. Hope you find your son's bike!

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger lime said...

what jerks. what is wrong with people? i hope they get caught and i hope your boy gets his ride back.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Kelly Kirch said...

Get out that bow and arrow, hon. Le'sgo huntin'.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Akelamalu said...

Stealing a boys bike is just the lowest! I hope the police find the b******ds and lock them up!

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Mona said...

In India this kind of thing is so common. & nobody goes to the police to complain. The police they say are involved in petty thieving here ( taking commission from the thieves on stolen booty)

Once We are robbed.... well we ARE robbed.
There was a robbery in my neighborhood once & they lost quite a bit of stuff. The victims, knowing how the police are, refrained to file a report as they knew that nothing would come out of it. The nest day the robbers came back, held a gun to the neighbor's head & told him to go & file a complain to the police. Surprised the neighbor said he did not want to, But the robbers insisted, saying, that the police had got to be told by them ( my neighbors) how much good was stolen, since when they were telling them the actual amount, the police was not believing them & thought it was more. They said that from what the police thought they has got from the house, they would have to end up paying commission to the police 'from their own ( thieves') pocket' , were my neighbors not going to furnish the police actual 'proof' of the amount stolen, by lodging a complaint.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

Anny, that's awful, I guess some crimes are timeless...

lol, Lime. I hope they do too, either by the police or the street crew I set out for them. :D Either way, we should get the bike back if it is possible. :D

It's strung and ready, Kelly. :D

Thanks, Ak. I do too. :D

OMG!!! That is just horrible, Mona. I've been in a few countries were the criminals and police had close ties. You never know where to turn in times of need. I hope you never have to deal with that first hand... Thanks for sharing that sobering look at how things could be.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I can't stand theives. They are the lowest. And sorry about the storm.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger snowelf said...

Ugh! When I first moved into my apt, someone drove their truck on the grass and ran over my daughter's bike!! I was SO mad. They didn't even tell me, one of the neighbors told me later that they had seen what happened. Stuff like that is just so mean!

--snow

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

I really appreciate that, Carrie. I just can't wait to get everything fixed... :D

Oh, that sucks, Snowelf. I just wished everyone was born with a sense of common decency. It'd surely be a better world...

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

I don't wish any happiness on the mothers who stole your son's bike. For sure.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

I hear that, Bernita. I have a feeling that if they have kids like this, they're not happy very often. I'm kind of hoping one of the parents catchs them with the contraband.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.