Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Book Review: The Tomb

I recently read The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson. This book is my first foray into the world of Repairman Jack and let me tell you, it won’t be the last. Jack is an amazing character. He’s equal parts badass and softy with a heart of gold.


Mr. Wilson not only created an array of vivid characters, but did an outstanding job of capturing the essence of New York and setting up an almost tangible backdrop for the story without causing so much as a hiccup in the pace.


This story is the epitome of cross-genre. There’s something for everyone among the well crafted pages. Horror, suspense, heartache, mystery, adventure, fantasy (albeit quite dark) and even a fair amount of romance come together to make for an unforgettable read. I highly recommend this book to one and all. If you’ve yet to discover Repairman Jack, you’re missing out.





Blurb


Much to the chagrin of his girlfriend, Gia, Repairman Jack doesn’t deal with electronic appliances—he fixes situations for people, situations that usually involve putting himself in deadly danger. His latest project is recovering a stolen necklace, which carries with it an ancient curse that may unleash a horde of Bengali demons.


Jack is used to danger, but this time Gia’s daughter Vicky is threatened. She is the last surviving member of a bloodline marked for extinction. Can Jack overcome the curse of the yellow necklace and bring Vicky safely back home?




Rating: 5 of 5 Stars






Labels:

7 Comments:

At 5:35 AM, Blogger lime said...

sounds like an interesting read.l thanks for the recommendations.

oh yeah....and....

YAHTZEE!!!

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger G-Man said...

Lime...
Enough of this childish little feuding. (You'll get yours wench!)..

James, I gotta tell you that your reviews really make me want to go out and read one of these..
Repairman Jack eh?
Next time I'm at Border's I'll have to check it out...Thanks
G

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Kelly Kirch said...

Sounds fantastic. Like something I need to read to shake out of my romance funk. ;) Excellent review and hey, any news on the bike today? How's your son holding up?

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

lol, Lime. Yahtzee indeed. :D

lol, Galen. I just don't understand where people get this childish notions. Do you? :D No problem on the tip. This book is great. Let me know what you think of it if you pick up a copy. We could compare notes. :D

Oh, yeah... you should definately check it out, Kelly. It will take you out of the funk with a vengence. :D

The bike hasn't been returned yet, but he's still holding out high hopes. If it's not back soon, I'll have to go get him a new one. A boy needs to have a bike, especially in the summer...

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

sounds like a good fast paced interesting book just through the blurb.

I also scrolled down and read the post about your sons bike getting stolen. There is nothing worse than the feeling you have when someone else helps their sorry selves to your property especially if they take something belonging to your child.

My oldest child had a brand new expensive mountain bike stolen out of our detached garage in broad daylight. There are some very sorry people out there.

Good luck with getting the bike back!

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger Mona said...

what does Yahtzee mean?

This sounds like an interesting tale indeed! A Host of Bengali Demons? LOL! Who can be a worse demon than Man?

James, Please don't mind, But I can't help sharing this funny thing with you. I usually talk to everything around me ; chairs tables, clothes toothpaste & you name it. When My bar's hook fails to hook up I always utter "O! Get a grip!" to my bra! The name of your other blog has me laughing out loud always! :D

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

Oh, yeah you'd love this book, Breazy.

Very sorry people indeed, they'll get there's someday. :D Kharma is a wonderful thing.

Mona, Yahtzee is a boardgame played with dice, but we've (I believe Galen was the first to start the trend) begun using it to signify that we are the first to comment on a new blog post. :D

Ah, yes... he called the demons Rokoshi, but man is a terrifying demon unto himself. :D

lol, I don't mind. I actually enjoy the stories you share. :D That is too funny about the blog name, lol.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.