Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Book Review: Quits

I know it’s unheard of for me to do two book reviews in the same week, but I just finished reading Quits: Demons and Devils by M.E Ellis and I had to come tell you fine folks about it while my ire was still fresh. Quits is an outstanding example of how a great writer can coax vivid images from the minds of the reader. I submerged myself in the world Wayne Thomas, felt his pain, his shame and cheered when things looked to be going his way. This is a gut wrenching tale of the fragility of the human mind. Then again, as the events of his childhood come forth, even the toughest minds would likely crack under such abuse. Wayne has endured a lifetime of hardships and still manages to have such an engaging personality that I, as a reader, found myself rooting for him, even when some of his deeds stray far from right.


My jaw hurts. Odd statement, but I’ve spent much of the last two days gritting my teeth as I read about the young man’s plight. M. E did a phenomenal job of creating the story and the backdrop with such stunning detail, it almost felt as if I was not so much a witness, but a participant, an observer in the corner, but still privy to every sight, sound, smell and emotion that played out among the pages. Such atrocities as were bestowed upon poor Wayne, should never be endured by a human being, let alone a small child or even a young adult as the abuse never lessened until he was old enough to put a stop to it.


Every beginning hurtles toward an end and every end gives birth to another beginning. I only hope the next chapter in his life will bring him the peace and happiness he truly deserves.



If you’re looking for a book that will stir your emotions, take you on a journey or just engulf you so completely that nothing else matters except for finding out what happens to the protagonist next, then Quits is the book for you. My mind is still reeling from this rollercoaster of a ride.



Blurb


Quits: Book 1: Demons Wayne Thomas hides a secret, locking it in the depths of his mind. Has kidnapping a young woman proved to him that all females are conniving, treacherous creatures? His childhood has him convinced that women are evil. Can he rid himself of the traumatic events that plagued his younger years or will they continue to haunt him? Befriended by the woman he abducted, Wayne becomes a different person. He embraces happiness, hoping that for once, things won't go wrong--until a memory triggers the horrors he has locked away and it all comes tumbling out, forcing him to face up to his demons--those inside him, and those that still live and breathe.


Quits: Book 2: Devils Still tormented by the demons from his past, Wayne Thomas embarks on a course of therapy at the Klinter Institute. His therapist, Jen, is eager to ensure he faces every single demon he encountered in his childhood and to re-establish Wayne into society. With the help of Kathy, a speech therapist, and Herbert, a physiotherapist, Wayne begins to rebuild not only his mind, but his body and self-confidence. Once therapy makes a marked improvement upon Wayne, he is offered the chance to move out of Klinter to The Apartments, the second stage of his integration. However, inner demons and devils are sometimes hard to erase. Wayne's linger in his subconscious, waiting for a chance to break free once more, to wreak havoc within his unstable mind. Will Jen's hard work pay off? Or will Wayne spiral into a world where redemption and payback rule?




Rating: 5 of 5 Stars






Labels:

21 Comments:

At 4:31 AM, Blogger lime said...

tiptoes in and returns the...


YAHTZEEE!

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger lime said...

wow, i'm one who prefers to devour a book in as big a chunk as i can anyway. i'd probably let the house go to hell if i picked this one up.

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger Mona said...

Goodman. You stole my Yahtzee at Lime's blog by 'the width of a nanohair' . So I have given you a Rakshosi at her blog.

Go See!

 
At 4:41 AM, Blogger G-Man said...

Bam!!!!
Thats 2 Rakshosi's!!!!


Great review James, I can't afford all the books that you buy, this one sounds readable as well as your previous review..
See you tomorrow?
G

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger Mona said...

Demons of the mind are so difficult to exorcise...

Writing is a good way I guess....


Hehehehe... My word verification says ' squcks' I guess that is a duck saying 'Shucks' :D

 
At 4:46 AM, Blogger Mona said...

where are you two meeting tomorrow ???

This Rakshosi will follow you!

AAAAYYYYYYEEEEEEE!!!!!

I think I know...

I bet my sweet ass I will be there before either of you!

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

lol, Lime... you're getting good with those Yahtzee's. :D

Oh, yeah, this book will definately suck you in. It might be worth a bit of disarray to check it out. :D

lol, Mona. Not a Rakshosi! No worries, I'm armed with iron and Fire and love a good tussle. :D

lol, G-man. Two of those demons against me, now I'm a little nervous. :D If it makes you feel any better, I get a good deal of books for free from either friends or writers hoping I will review it. Not all books get reviewed though. I just can't bring myself to post a bad review on something that someone has obviously worked hard on just because it wasn't a good read for me. I read most everything I get though. :D

I'll definately be there for the 55. :D

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

Yes, writing is very theraputic, Mona. lol, at the word verification. They come up with some good ones. :D

lol, it's a bet. I'll be there bright and early. :D There can be only one...yahtzee. :D

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Mona said...

Goodman... Are you on your way to become IRON MAN?

You will have to Change your heart for that you know!

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

lol, no... I like my heart the way it is. :D I can't wait to see that movie though. You're so lucky that you already have it on DVD. :D

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

oh, and Galen, I won this particular book in a contest. :D I'm one lucky son of a gun. :D

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger lime said...

what in blue blazes are these rakshosis?

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Mona said...

what Contest????

See? This Rakshosi turned out to be so lucky for both you & Galen!

I think Rakshoshis are paying a tribute to you because you sponsor them in the books you write...

Lime, Rashosis are 'She-Demons'

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

M.E Ellis ran a contest on her blog (the link is in the post) and I won. :D She also happens to be a friend of mine and edited The Writing on the Wall. It's a small world. :D

lol, I like the thought of having a Rakshoshi on my side. :D

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

Thanks, mate!

:o)

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

You're quite welcome. :D Thanks for writing such a great read. :D

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Akelamalu said...

You write great reviews James! You're even better at 55s - see you tomorrow!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

Thanks, AK. I'll see you then. :D

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Wow! 2 in one week. Awesome!

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Yes,not surprised you found it so. Emmy is a damn fine writer!

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

lol, Carrie, I know it shocked even me. :D

You can say that again, Bernita. :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.