Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

No Place Like Home

The RT Convention was incredible. I met some fantastic authors and even more fantastic readers. I’m so tempted to name drop, but I met so many, that I’m afraid I might overlook someone and I definitely wouldn’t want anyone to feel slighted after such an awesome weekend.

Everyone was very friendly, I was welcomed with open arms everywhere I went for the entire weekend. Have you ever been to an event where the everyone seemed to be split into cliques and any attempt you make to talk with the “wrong” crowd left you feeling immediately uncomfortable if not downright alienated? Well, you won’t find any of that with this crowd.

I met and tried to spend as much time as possible with several of my fellow RP authors and of course, the publishers Leigh and Jess. You couldn’t ask for a better group to be part of. These ladies were all fantastic and each brought a unique lovable attribute to the gatherings that made each affair more memorable than the last. I can’t wait to hang out with them again.

They had a wide assortment of workshops for both seasoned veterans and aspiring authors that were not only informative, but also quite entertaining to boot. Both Friday and Saturday evening found us shaking a leg in the ballroom and indulging in a wee bit of drinking.

On Saturday after the dance, we moved to the lobby bar and wound in a rather engaging conversation with a young man who invited us to a party. Being the adventurous type, I said “oh hell yeah!”

It turns out the young man was one of Heather Graham’s sons and the party was in their suite. It was very cool, but as the evening wore on, I felt bad for them. It was quite clear that they were getting tired, but the party showed no signs of slowing. Ah, life on the road…sometimes it throws you curve balls, sometimes it just throws you.

I’m in the midst of trying to get caught up, so I must keep this short, but before I go I must do a touch of bragging.

My first book signing for The Dance went very well. How well? I sold my entire inventory and well before the book fair was over. Here is a pic from just before they set the readers loose on us. :D



And now, I must get back to work. So, what did you do with your time while I was away?

Oh, and please swing by to see M.E. Ellis today. She has posted a fabulous review of The Dance on her blog.

Labels:

16 Comments:

At 7:24 AM, Blogger Kelly Kirch said...

With open arms indeed! James is a great one for hugging. A good thing being that I am a hugger myself. I REALLY wish I could have spoken to you more. You are very engaging in person with a terrific charismatic quality that absorbs the sound in a room until one just sees you as a safe harbor. Peaceful and true. I don't think I've ever met someone who zaps your entire attention to him quite the way you do. Can you bottle that up for me?

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger James Goodman-Horror Writer said...

lol, thank you, Kelly. Would you believe, you've actually made me blush? :D

I wish I could have spent more time with you as well. What little time I did get to spend with you showed me you were a personable, warm, kind and caring person. Definately someon who is as great in person as they are online. :D

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger ciara said...

congrats! i knew the book signing would be a success. how could it not? your posts alone are always so well written. :)

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger James Goodman-Horror Writer said...

ah, you're too kind, Ciara, but thank you for the kind word. :D

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Akelamalu said...

I'm so pleased for you that the book signing went so well - you deserve it m'dear. x

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger James Goodman-Horror Writer said...

Thank you, Akelamalu. These are indeed exciting times. :D

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

OMG!! Heather Graham is one of my favorite authors...WOW! I also read her books that are written under the name Shannon Drake.

It sounds like you had a lovely time and Congrats on selling all of your inventory.

Thanks for your kind words and prayers regarding my sick little son.

Have a great day!

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger James Goodman-Horror Writer said...

Thanks, Breazy. :D Oh, and I'll be doing a review of The Dead Room on Thursday. :D

I hope you have a great day too. :D

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

How exciting! I'm proud of you.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger James Goodman-Horror Writer said...

Thanks, Carrie. :D

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger lime said...

congrats on the quick sellout! so glad to hear the event was such a positive experience in every way for you. that's just wonderful. :)

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger James Goodman-Horror Writer said...

Thank you so much, Lime. It is definately the standard by which all other cons will now be judged. :D

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Anny Cook said...

Nice meeting you James! I saw you everywhere, but didn't have another chance to say hello...

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger James Goodman-Horror Writer said...

It was nice meeting you as well, Anny. lol, it was quite hectic wasn't it? :D Perhaps Orlando will offer us more time to hang out together. :D

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

Oh, that stack of books on that table...I could just wee my knickers for you!

:o)

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger James Goodman, Author said...

lol, thanks, emmy. It was exciting to say the least. :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.