Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Music Meme

I found this meme over at David Niall Wilson’s blog. I thought it was pretty darned cool, so I decided to give it a whirl. I’m not tagging anyone with this, but if you want to do it, let me know so I can come see your answers.

1. What song lyric taken completely out of context has become important to you?

It’s actually a harder question than it appears at first glance. There were several to choose from, but I’m opting to go with Ben Harper’s Ground on Down.
Life is short and if you're looking for extension,
With your time, you had best do well,
Cause there's good deeds and there is good intention,
They're as far apart as heaven and hell.

And you're steady working your way,
From the ground on down,
On down.
Your way,
From the ground.


In the song he is struggling with a horrible decision, whether or not to break up with the woman he loves, but fears he’s coming to hate.

Out of context, it reminds me of the decisions I made in my younger years. At the time I thought them all, or at least most of them to be the right thing to do, but as I reflect (as so many of us do when we pass 35), I realize I’ve caused a tremendous amount of pain and anguish from about 18 to 28. Good deeds and good intentions, I can only hope that now all of my latter lead to the former…

2. What was the last stupid lyric to catch in your head and not let go?

Not if You Were the Last Junkie on Earth by the Dandy Warhols seeped into my brain not long ago into it took the better part of a day to get the catchy tune out of my head. The song is very upbeat, but the message is downright horrible… Thanks for getting it stuck in my head again.

I never thought youd be a junkie
Because heroin is so passe.
But today,
If you think that I dont know
About depression and
Emotional pain,
Youre insane, or your
A fool who hasnt paid attention
To a word that I say.

In a way, I cant
Help but feel responsible.
I always knew that you were insane
With your pain.

But I never thought youd be a junkie
Because heroin is so passe


3. Have you ever bought a record / CD for the cover art alone - what, and why?

Sadly, no. I’ve picked one up checked out the cover and put it back, but I’ve never bought a CD based soley on the strength of the cover. I may have to do that someday just to see what happens.

4. What is the LAST CD you bought / downloaded, and why?

Unearthed (the box set) by Johnny Cash. Honestly, I fell in love with his renditions of great rock songs such as Rusty Cage by Soundgarden and Thirteen by Danzig. The man is a legend.

5. What CD do you own that you think would make your friends shake their heads in either pity, or a total lack of comprehension?

I’m almost embarrassed to admit this, but for the sake of honesty. I have I’m too sexy by Right Said Fred in my collection. And before you ask, yes, I’ve listened to it in the last thirty days…

.
Final bonus question: What are you listening to right now?
Don’t you evah by Spoon. This song will likely now be stuck in my head for the rest of the morning. It is quite catchy.

Don't You Evah Lyrics

And here is a video just to make sure you all have it stuck in your heads as well:

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Blogger lime said...

oh man, this was a fun little insight into the music of a horror writer.

i bet you danced when you listened to "i'm too sexy" didn't you? c'mon, fess up. i KNOW you did. don't feel bad. it's a fun song to get all campy to. reminds me of a game i used to play with a friend, we'd go back and forth with all sorts of ridiculous things we had in our lives...
i'm too sexy for my toe socks
i'm too sexy for my apron
i'm too sexy for that shower cap in my HNT
etc.

so tell me, whaddya too sexy for? hehehehe

i wil lmost likely steal this for sometime next week.

and yes, spoon will be stuck in my head for a while now.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Jinger said...

I'm going to have to give this one a shot next week. I usually run out of things to blog so I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for popping into my blog!
Jinger

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.