Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, November 26, 2007

Weekend Recap

We had a lot to be thankful for over the holiday weekend. The most important celebration worthy (not to be confused with sponge worthy) fact was that we lived for another year. Life is so fleeting it seems, at times anyways. At the very least it is as fragile as we let it be. Maybe it’s just a product of the aging process, but it also seems that the more we become aware of its tenuous grip, the more slippery that hold becomes. Enough about that for now, perhaps I’ll touch on it again later, but it’s a bit early in the day to be so morose.

The day of the feast(s) was all I had hoped for and then some. We had a record breaking crowd (for recent memory anyway) out at my mom’s house this year. There was laughter, family, food, football and the pitter patter of little feet zipping this way and that. It was indeed a joyous time.

I felt a bit like I was the stuffed turkey by the time we got to my wife’s parents house, but I still managed to indulge once again. How could I not, the smell of holiday fare definitely brings out my inner glutton. Again, the walls reverberated with the sounds of celebration. It was well past my bedtime before we stumbled home.

I feared Friday would find me with a turkey hangover, but luckily I woke up without any symptoms. This was a relief as I had a rather long jaunt to make that morning. Being a holiday weekend, my son went to spend a few days with his biological mother and her family. Yep, he got to have yet another thanksgiving meal.

With a few of days all to ourselves we did what any self-respecting couple would do in our situation: We barricaded ourselves in, turned off the computers, unplugged the phone and only left the house when it was an absolute necessity. Everyone needs to have a totally isolated weekend every once in a while.

We picked up my son yesterday after noon and spent the rest of the evening watching the titanic struggle between the Philadelphia Eagles and my New England Patriots. The Eagles put up the best fight I’ve seen so far this year, but thankfully the Pats squeaked through and are now 11-0. The Pats may well be the greatest football team ever.

So, what all did you do over the long weekend?

4 Comments:

At 6:36 AM, Blogger lime said...

sounds like it was a perfect time for you all.

i got to host thanksgiving at my house for the first time in 13 years. i quite enjoyed that. on friday my girls convinced me to brave the crowds late in the afternoon...*shudders* what i did for love.

today is opening day for deer hunting and i am hoping to hear mr lime, or diana or isaac gets a deer. it's isaac's first year. :)

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Donnetta Lee said...

Hi, James. Sounds like you had a good Thanksgiving. My son came home from where he now lives in Kentucky. We had a great time. Went to southwestern Oklahoma to see my mom. Came back here for Saturday and Sunday. Watched movies, talked, and laughed. I sure hated to see him go. But had a such a nice visit.
Donnetta

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger David Niall Wilson said...

Well, despite your continued support of those New Englandy chowderhead guys (: I'm glad you had a good holiday.

Of interest to James, and James fans, is that the final portion of "The Orffyreus Wheel," featuring a very crazed man named...James Goodman...is complete. I'm still sending it out in the e-mail group, but the final installment will be on Amazon soon.

D

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger James Goodman-Horror Writer said...

Very cool, Lime. I still have high hopes of hosting one of the holiday feasts at my house. Yes, I'm a sucker for punishment. You are a brave woman for diving into the Friday fray. :D I'll keep my fingers crossed for the mighty hunters.

That sounds like a lovely time, Donnetta. I'm glad you got to spend some time with your son. That's what makes the holidays special.

lol, thanks, Dave. You rock! Ok, everyone, you know you have to go read this on amazon when it comes out. If nothing else, just to see what Mr. Wilson makes me do. :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.