Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, November 05, 2007

Weekend Recap

It was a good weekend. We laughed, we played, we loved and we lived in the moment.
I’m nearing the end of my Denver project. Yes, I’ll be home again soon. I can’t wait. I know I get to see my wife and son every weekend, but it’s just not the same. I miss the day to day interaction. I miss helping my son with his homework. I miss moment’s of silence just holding my wife’s hand. Some moments need no words, but the do require proximity. The end is near and I’ve never been happier.

We had a bit of an impromptu family get together to celebrate both my brother and his wife’s birthdays. That was a good time. If you thought I don’t get to see my immediate family very often, imagine how rare an opportunity it is that I get to spend the bulk of a day with my mom, brother, grandmother, aunt and uncle. In a better world, we’d get together like that at least once a month.

How often do you have the “big” family get togethers? I’m sure most of us are bound to attend the annual family reunion where the in-laws and outlaws come out in droves and of course the holidays (which are just around the corner again, are they not?), but I’m speaking of the massive family dinners from days of yore (at least in my hazy memory). The Sundays spent with the extended family. Adults trading stories and children running amok in the other room. The aroma of the day’s meal permeating every thought until it is served and lingering at the back of your mind as you drive home. We used to have these on a regular basis. Things change. Lives spread. Time dwindles and is the enemy of all.

We spent Sunday evening watching football and thinking of the future. Change is in the wind and we still haven’t decided whether or not this is a good or bad thing. Not that it matters, change is inevitable. It’s how you react when faced with it that defines the kind of life you will lead.

So, how did you spend your weekend?

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Blogger Angie said...

My weekend was uneventful. Which is not good considering all that's going on in my life...

I haven't been to a big family dinner or even a reunion in years. My family is not big on getting together. It usually results in drunken screaming matches or outright brawls. It would be nice to see my parents more often, though. They only live three hours from me, but I just can't afford the gas to go see them.

So glad that you finally get to be back home with your family!

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

"Things change. Lives spread. Time dwindles and is the enemy of all."
Well put, James.
Should I admit I spent part of the weekend raking leaves and taking down a tree?

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger lime said...

well my extended family all lives within about 10 miles of each other so i grew up seeing all the aunts uncles and cousins every holiday, not just the thansgiving/christmas/easter days but also memorial day, 4th of july, labor day and the MASSIVE family reunion where members from 3 branches of the family tree (not just the single branch that did holidays) was once a summer.

now that i am married and living further away from them we always go to the reunion and the easter meal. we have alternated christmas with my husband's family and thanksgiving is an odd thing since my mother decided she didn't want to go to the big family shindig for whatever reason.

so glad denver is almost done. i know you've missed yoru family so much. i hope you'll get to stay put at home for a long time now.

 
At 5:24 AM, Anonymous linda said...

As you know I spent most of my week-end entertaining the grand kids and cooking the meal for our birthday's get together. I think the meatballball&sausage subs were a hit and I enjoyed every minute of it especially the surprize gift I got from you and Shelly (wink wink) so grateful for that and to get back on track. all said and done my house was turned upside down I was exhausted but I loved it and you are right we should try and get together more often
I am also glad you Denver time is nearing the end. we all miss having you home
love
MoM

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger James Goodman-Horror Writer said...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Angie. It sucks when there is a riff in the family...

Thanks, Bernita. At least it sounds like you had a productive weekend. :D

Ah, distance definately can take it's toll on such gatherings, Lime. At least, you are getting to alternate the holidays though.

It was a blast, though, Mom. I did enjoy it and yes, we should do it more often. :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.