Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Weekend Recap

We had a great weekend, filled with tricks, treats, and good eats.

Friday, I was too exhausted for much of anything (not much sleep Thursday night, obviously). We hung out and talked until it was time for my son to go to bed, then I managed to stay awake long enough for us to watch Hostel II. Man, is that one twisted flick. Yeah, I thought it was awesome. It had several unexpected twists and turns that, in my humble opinion, made it an even better watch than the first one. I may have to watch it again, when I’m not so punch drunk to make sure the statement stands, but it was good enough to keep me awake when all I could think about before we put it in was going to sleep.

Saturday, we hit our local Pumpkin Patch to find the biggest orange beast we could carry back to the car. The pumpkin ritual (both selection and the subsequent carving) is quickly becoming one of my favorite Halloween traditions.

After we unloaded the mammoth gourd, we decided to slip out for a bite to eat. Compadres was the undisputed choice of the day. If you love good Mexican food, I highly recommend you give this place a try.

After dinner, we took my son out to HallowZooeen at the Tulsa Zoo. It was a bit crowded for my taste, but I think we still managed to have a great time. We all three went in costume and we had as much fun playing with each other as we did gathering mounds of candy and certificates.

It was fairly late when we returned from the zoo, but not so late that we didn’t have time to hit a costume party before we retired for the evening. My neighbors across the street threw quite the shin dig and it was kid friendly so we all had a groovy time. My son even got to play DJ a couple of times. It was a hoot.

Sunday, we had a fairly lazy day. We went over some course work that has been plaguing my son (much to his chagrin). Then we settled in to watch another twisted little movie, 2001 Maniacs. Southern Fried horror, with a touch of a good B-Movie feel, what more could a horror buff ask for?

Of course, the icing on the cake for my weekend was watching my New England Patriots put a colossal size hurtin’ on the Redskins (yeah, I’m not even going to bother to give them a link). Final score: 52-7. All I can say is wow.

So, what did you do over the weekend?

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Blogger Joe said...

James, I haven't seen Hostel II yet, but I checked out 2001 Maniacs, since it's been appearing a lot on cable lately, and it is a really freaking twisted Southern fried movie. There are several gasp-worthy scenes, the gore is ample, and it's unsettling in its way. Good call.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger James Goodman-Horror Writer said...

lol, thanks, Joe. Yeah, it was way better than I expected. I try to pick at least one "B-looking" movie from on demand at least once every couple of weeks. You never know when you're going to find a diamond in the rough...

 
At 4:08 AM, Blogger lime said...

sounds like a perfect weekend. that hallozooeen thing sounds like a ton of fun (except the crowds). very cool idea.

us? we got rained out of our halloween parade on saturday because it POURED. so the girls and i sat around watching movies all day. sunday everyone was in different directions.

 
At 5:29 AM, Anonymous linda said...

Where is the pictures? I want to see what you were dressed up like! sounds like you guys had a great time. I am looking forward to (hopefully) getting to see you'all next Saturday.
Love
MoM

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger James Goodman-Horror Writer said...

Oh, it is, Lime. Maybe you could suggest something similar to the zoo administrator in your area?

Sorry to hear about the rain, but at least you were able to spend the day together.

Hi Mom, I have pictures of TY and of Shelly, but they are at home on the camera. I forgot to load them up before I left. I don't think we actually got around to taking my picture...

Yep, look forward to seeing you on Saturday. :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.