Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sleep...Who Needs It?

I’m embracing the joys of quasi-communal living. Yes, I’m in a room by myself, but it is indeed part of a rather small community and everyone here seems to keep different hours. I guess I’ve completely lost my tolerance of the hustle and bustle of city life, either that or the paper thin walls that comprise my prison studio are just amplifying the din of the neighborhood. Every car, motorcycle, siren and stereo within a one block radius catches my attention. During the afternoon and evening, this isn’t horrible, but when I lay down to sleep…well, that’s where the problem arises.

My first week, I hardly slept a wink. I’m a light sleeper anyway, so every time I heard a door shut or any number of items from the above list, I’d snap awake and look around the room. It would take a bit for my heart to calm down enough to allow me to go back to sleep, but then I wouldn’t be able to keep my eyes closed for long.

It is getting better. The last couple of nights I bet I didn’t wake up more than four or five times. The world outside my room is just becoming so much white noise. Still, I’m not sure if letting myself become totally desensitized to the noise is necessarily a good thing, but if I don’t I fear I will have a psychotic episode. Just a hunch, but having a big, scary ex soldier turned horror writer go off his rocker can’t be a good thing.

I’m already counting down the days until I get to go home again. Though, not just so I can get some decent sleep, I miss my family something fierce. Everyday I put behind me, puts me that much closer to being home for good. The sleep is just a bonus.

Ok folks, it’s poll time. Are you a light sleeper or can you sleep through a sonic boom? For the light sleepers among you, how do you deal with a drastic change in environment?

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 1:18 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

When the children were little, I was on Condition Yellow all the time.
It's better now.
As for change in beds, I don't cope well. I have to wait for exhaustion to give me a good night's sleep.

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger lime said...

a big scary ex soldier turned horror writer going off his rocker....sounds like the seeds for your next book!

my sleeping is a strange thing. mr. lime is a volunteer firefighter and for 9 yrs we lived 2 blocks from the station. i slept through more middle of the night alarms than anyone could believe. however, let one of the limelets whimper in the night and i am out of the bed like a rocket. i also can't stand light in my room. i need it to be dark. unfamiliar surroundings do me in too.

i'm going to texas by myself for 4 days next month and i am wondering if i will get any sleep at all. hahaha.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

I'm a pretty heavy sleeper when I'm extremely tired. However, for some reason I always wake up when your cousin snores. He's so loud and sounds like a giant grizzly bear.

Take a Benadryl before you go to bed. It'll make you sleep well and clear your sinus cavity. It's the same ingredient in any "PM" medication, only without the added pain reliever.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Oh, I can understand that, Bernita. I remember when Ty was young, I went through a similar sleep deprivation.



Hey, you may be onto something there, Lime.

I have black plastic stapled over the windows in my bedroom. :D

What part of Texas? We've toured the state on a "Road trip" vacation before. It was a blast. :D

Oh, good idea, cuz. I'll have to give that a try.. :D

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Angie said...

I used to be an extremely light sleeper. Now I am more like Lime - I can sleep through a freight-train wreck out of a simple need for maternal re-charging, but if my son coughs for more than 10 seconds I am completely awake and dashing out of bed.

When I was a teenager, if my little lap dog hopped on the bed and her collar jingled, I would be wide awake. As I am now, though, the other night my husband came to bed at 11:30 and said he had a ten-minute conversation with me, but I seriously don't remember any of it. Conversely, that same night, my two-year old mumbled "Ap-juice, mama!" and I was stumbling to the kitchen for a sippy-cup thirty seconds later.

 
At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Jerry said...

James,
I actually sleep better when I am away from home. When I wake up at home, I start thinking of the millions of things that I could be doing.

Now if I'm sleeping with the windows open and a cool breeze, I could sleep for 12 straight hours and wake up in a puddle of drool.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.