Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Home Again

A new supermarket opened near my house. It has an automatic water mister to
keep the produce fresh. Just before it goes on, you hear the sound of
distant thunder and the smell of fresh rain.

When you approach the milk cases, you hear cows mooing and
experience the scent of fresh hay.

When you approach the egg case, you hear hens cluck and cackle, and the air is filled with the pleasing aroma of bacon and eggs frying.

The veggie department features the smell of fresh buttered corn.

I don't buy toilet paper there any more.


Our trip to Delaware was a whirlwind, so many things to do and so very little time to get them done. I didn’t make it around to see all of my relatives (a bit of poor planning on my part), but we spent the bulk of our time catching up with family.

The big shin-dig at my Dad’s place was a blast. It was a day filled with food, family, live music, dancing and more than a few memorable moments. The bulk (probably around fifty or so) of those in attendance was from my Step-Mom’s (Hi Cindy!) family and I had never met them before. They welcomed us in with open arms.

My brother-in-law, Chris has a band and he provided the live entertainment. His band is nothing short of fantastic. He even let my son come up and play with them (insisting that Ty has all of the makings of a rock star). Between sets, we indulged in my Dad’s favorite pastime… karaoke. After much prompting (and a few drinks), he finally badgered me into taking the mic myself. I performed a rendition of Dean Martin’s Ain’t That A Kick In The Head that shocked the crowd, rousing them to thunderous applause. Afterwards there was much back patting and utterances of, “That was incredible” and “Where did you learn to sing like that?” Yeah, I enjoyed that tremendously.

On Sunday, we slipped up to Smyrna to visit some of my other kin (cousins, sister, brother and biological father, etc.). It was great catching up with them. I don’t get to see any of them nearly enough. To this end, I’ve resolved to try to make this trip at least every other year and do what I can to convince them to visit me on the opposite years. It still not a lot of time, but it would be a start.

Monday was spent down in Ocean City. Thanks to the amazing marvels of technology, I was able to get some work done while we walked the boardwalk, taking in all of the wondrous sights. We rode a few rides, went to the Ripley’s Believe It or Not Museum and bought a boogie board for my son. After we visited every store on the strip, we slipped down to the water to let him try out his new board. It took him several tries, but he indeed got the hang of it rather quickly.

The trip home was rather eventful. We arrived late, not getting to the baggage claim until 11:30 at night. One of my suitcases was the first off the conveyer. We waited as slowly but surely, the rest of the luggage peeked into view. All save but one. Yep, they lost my son’s suitcase. It took them until midnight to admit this, but it didn’t make the flight.

We loaded up what we had and headed home, eager to be in our own beds. We unlocked the door and to our surprise, it was much warmer inside the house than outside. The air conditioner was obviously broken. I dropped the luggage in the floor and commenced the troubleshooting process while my wife and son, went through the house, turning on all of the fans and opening doors to create circulation.

It turned out to be a fuse, but as late as it was, I didn’t know if I would be able to find the replacements. As hot as it was, I was willing to give it a try. I hopped back in my truck and headed into town. The local hardware stores were all closed, but I was able to find a cartridge fuse in Wal-Mart of all places. It wasn’t the right one, but it would do until the hardware store opened the next day.

I’ve spent the rest of the week, running around like a chicken with my head cut off. It seems there was a million tasks that floated my way while we were on the road. Having said that, I should go tend to the last of them. I just wanted to let everyone know… “The Boys Are Back In Town!”

So, how did you spend your time while I was gone?

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger lime said...

can you imagine the condom aisle in that grocery store?


sounds like you had a ball on your trip, so glad to hear it. would have liked to catch the karaoke show....how'd it compare to the hairy chest contest? hehehehe i hope you son's bag was delivered eventually.

my time...well, i've been stripping...

...wallpaper, ack.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Oh, we got it back late yesterday. What a pain in the...

Yes, a lot less embarrasing than the hairy chest dealio. :D

stripping you say? Well, it may be just wallpaper, but are you at least doing it to music? :D

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Sounds like a good time until you got home. I hope things are better now.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

oh, much better, Carrie. :D

To top everything off, Tuesday was our anniversary. I like to get hot and bothered on the big day, but that definately wasn't what I had in mind. :D

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

I have been nursing my husband back to health. He has had the worst stomach virus I have ever witnessed then on top of that he had to deal with a kidney stone that took him four days to pass..ouch!

That sounds like one of the grocery stores we shopped at during our beach trip, we didn't buy toilet paper there either nor did we enter the condom isle, the kids were with us! LOL!
Sounds like your trip was fun!

have a great weekend!

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Donnetta Lee said...

Boy, you have been busy! Sounds like you had a great time.

I am getting well-feeling better anyway. Sure has been a slow old affair. Missed coming by to visit.

Put up a little post today that I started earlier in the summer. Drop by when you get a chance!

Good to come by and see what you've been up to and how happy you sound!

Donnetta

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.