Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, August 20, 2007

Happy Birthday

My son’s birthday is today. He is now a whopping ten years old. It just doesn’t seem possible. Was really that long ago that I held him in the crook of my arm, pressed against my chest? Was it really that long ago that he opened his eyes and looked at me, forever changing my life? Was it really that long ago wept, that I marveled at the miracle of childbirth?

We had a birthday party for him yesterday. Kids were running everywhere, games were played, pizza was scattered to the winds, candles were blown out, presents were opened. I just couldn’t stop looking at my son through the entire affair, wondering where the time went, remembering in vivid detail exactly where the time went, praying he will grow to be better man than I ever was.

At the tender age of ten, he has all the potential in the world, he is already generous (more often than not), kind (most always), compassionate (to a fault), will he remain that way? Will the scrapes and bruises, both mental and physical, he will experience through adolescence change him for better or worse? Have I instilled in him a proper sense of right and wrong, of duty, of honor, of love yet? I know I still have time, he’s not grown yet, but have I laid the proper foundation for the man he is to become?

He’s awake now, bright eyed and bushy tailed. I can hear him scampering around his room. He’ll be down any second, so I will close for now. Today… today will be a father and son kind of day.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 5:53 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

James, it's amazing how well they turn out - either because of or in spite of us.

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thank you for that, Bernita. It is one of my greatest hopes. :D

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Happy birthday to your precious boy. My oldest son turned 10 in July, and I was not there for it. But I felt many of the same emotions - the hopes, fears and dreams you have for your son. His greatest gift, whether he knows it now or not, is having such a loving, concerned, involved father. Enjoy your day, enjoy your son.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger lime said...

happy birthday to a very special and treasured young man. james, i am sure you've laid a very fine foundation. your love for your wife and son have always been so evident to us and i just cannot imagine it not being evident to them, and that is half the job. i hope it is a very special day for all of you.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thank you, Angie for your kind words. So, do you think the next ten years will go by in such a blur?

Ah, Lime, I do appreciate that. :D I love them more than life itself.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Happy Birthday!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.