Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Days of Whine and Roses

This is an interesting week as it will be my last full week in Oklahoma for awhile…possibly quite awhile. I’ve picked up a project at a shiny new alternative fuels plant on the outskirts of Denver, Colorado. It looks like I could be there for as long as two… maybe even three months.

For those of you who are long time readers, I’m sure it’s apparent how much I love spending time with my family. Since my marriage, over six years ago, I’ve never been away from my wife for more than two weeks. My son spent an entire month up in Iowa last year visiting his biological mother. It was brutal on me. I love my wife and son so much. The thought of being away from them so long is almost unbearable. On the plus side, I get to fly home every other weekend for the weekend, so it’s not like I won’t get to see them at all during that time, but it’s still going to be quite rough.

Ever the optimist, I’ve been trying to come up with perks for this little adventure. One immediate, if not entirely ironic, bonus is that the new story I’m working on for Resplendence Publishing actually takes place in Denver. I began with Google maps and other on-line research of the area, but I’ve set the story aside until I arrive to my mile high destination so I can get a better idea of the actual feel for the area. Oh, is that a tease? I think it might be a little less than a hint. Yes, I’m working on a new story and no, I’m not prepared to divulge any information about the actual plot. Sure I will…eventually, but for now, we’ll leave it at that.

There is a rather revered agent by the name of Kristin who calls Denver home. Though she is on the road right now, she will be back in plenty of time to find me camping out in her front yard until she agrees to offer me representation. Just kidding, not only am I not the stalker type, she also doesn’t quite represent what I write, I just thought I would throw that in there for any of you who are regular readers of Pub Rants. If you’re not a regular reader of her blog, why not? She is funny, informative and generally writes interesting and provocative posts. Stop by and give her a warm hello. You just might find a new blog to add to your daily routine.

I plan to use my time away to do quite a bit of writing. There seems to be quite a bit on my plate right now. I still have the final edits to complete for The Dance. I’m fairly confident The Writing on the Wall will be accepted by the publisher who requested it (I hope to have news to announce about that later this week), so there will be edits associated with that. I’ve the Denver story I mentioned before. I have some work to do with Drums of the Nunne’hi (I hope to have yet other news about that in the coming weeks). Do you remember my vampire novel, Darkness on the Plains? Well, there is an opportunity for me to turn it into a series for a new branch of a publishing company (this branch will be dedicated to horror), but I will have to segregate the first book (something I needed to do anyway as it is well in excess of 110K words right now) and this will take a significant amount of rework. Just from the preliminary banter with the editor, this could turn into at least a four to five book deal. I also have a story to finish with David Niall Wilson (mental note: need to contact him to see where we stand with it). As if all that weren’t enough, I still have the sequel to The Dance to work on.

I can only hope that all of these projects will be enough to keep my mind off of just how homesick I will be. I will have the engineering work to keep my days occupied, but then… that’s not really when the absence of my family would hit me most, is it? My official plan is to bury myself with work (both complex calculations and complex story lines) and pray the time passes quickly.

I know, I know... quit whining at least have something to do to occupy my time. The act of writing will be the salvation of my mind. Perhaps, it always has been.

As I said, this is a significant week for me. My posts (and sadly my visits to all of your blogs) will be quite spotty as I prepare for the inevitable. We have a big family weekend planned to cap of my remaining time here. We will spend the bulk of the time at the lake, wakeboarding, tubing, swimming and just generally enjoying each other’s company. There will also be multiple cookouts, perhaps some volleyball, most definitely some horseshoes and maybe a touch of relaxation.

I know I usually do a weekend recap on Mondays, but quite frankly too much of the weekend was overshadowed by my looming trip, so I’ve nothing significant to report about those events.

How was your weekend?

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger lime said...

i don't think you were whining at all. being away from the ones youlove most for that period of time IS worthy of such feelings. i am glad you'll have several things to keep you occupied and i certainly hope you are in denver for the shorter rather than longer period of time. and what exciting opportunities you have!

my weekend was low key. jus a minor picnic yesterday.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Angie said...

I am sure you will accomplish a lot, and the poignancy of your separation from your beloved family will add depth to the emotion that pours into the words you bring forth. And it is a beautiful area, very conducive to creativity.

My weekend was filled with pneumonia. I'm getting over it now, but sadly I still have to be at work rather than at home with my own beloved little ones, resting as I should be.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

The abbreviated industry "Best" seems to truly apply here, James.
Wishing you it with all my heart.

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thank you ladies for your kind words. I just have to keep telling myself, "What's two months in the grand scheme of things?"

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Donnetta Lee said...

James: Everything sounds exciting! I know you will miss your family, though. But it will work out just fine. I'll bet you'll enjoy Colorado. And you'll be so, so happy to get back home to Oklahoma. Just take care.
Donnetta

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Times of transition can be tough. All the best to you - you have your priorities in the right place.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

Hey James, I have been trying to get use to my new job and the ten and a half hours a day. I love the job, I love the people but the hours are going to take some getting use to.

I will keep you in my prayers while you are away from home. It is so very hard when we have to be away from those we love and are use to being with every day. I wish you good luck friend!

xoxo

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Ah, thank you all so much. Just a few more days, then it will begin and I can be one step closer to being home again...

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Time will be hard but distance makes the heart grow fonder. You'll be fine and home in no time.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.