Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Memories

It’s good to be home; it’s even better to be in my own bed. I know I’ve spent a lot of time on the road lately, but you never get used to sleeping in a strange bed. Sleep rarely is as deep and continuous as it is when surrounded with the comforting scents and sounds of the familiar.

We had a lot of time to think, talk, dream and remember on our drive both to and from the cruise. One of the topics we covered was memories of childhood vacations. I’ve a veritable archive of such, though not all of them from “traditional” vacations. Sure, we made it to the usual vacation amusement parks such as Bush Gardens, Knott’s Berry Farm, Epcot Center, etc., but, the memories that stand out for me most are the road trips. We would pile in the family vehicle and drive. Early on, this would include a trip to Virginia and one back to Delaware (once we migrated west that is). It seemed to me that no matter where we were or what we were doing, about every two years, we’d load the car and set out for the coast.

I watched the world slide by from the passenger window, watched landscapes change, watched the earth fall flat, then push itself up reaching for the heavens. I saw a myriad of faces, some hard at work, some lost in thought, some just staring back at me from a passing car. Accents changed with every gas stop, attitudes did the same. These little glimpses into what I considered other worlds always fascinated me. The journey, for me, was almost as exciting as the final destination.

What stands out most about childhood vacations for you?

I’m knee deep in my revisions for The Dance. It’s all so very exciting. My editor is going to be a joy to work with. Though, this first round of edits makes my MS look like it’s bleeding to death, I’ve yet to come across a comment or edit that didn’t leave me with a feeling of “Doh! Why didn’t I think of that?” and I have to say, my story is going to be much stronger for her efforts. On that note, I shall return to the fray.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 5:45 AM, Anonymous linda said...

I am so excited for you about the Dance. It deserves to be in print!
Your memories of your childhood vacation (as such) made me remember as well. we did have some good times and seen many places and faces.
as for my childhood memories it was a lot like yours except it was never really a vacation it was just picking up and moving on.
My dad was definetly a Gypsy. :-)
but it would take a long time to tell of the many adventures I have been on and the places I have seen. I think everyone should get to travel this world and see as much as they can while they are here.
Good luck on the Dance son
Love
MoM

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Robin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Robin said...

James~

How exciting! Your life has been a whirlwind lately, hasn't it?

Loved the vacation pics. That water! When I go to my happy place, crystal clear seas are always there.

I'm glad to hear your edits are going well. Best of luck with the rest of the process.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Mom I'm excited too.

yep, you definately had a different childhood than I did, but then we've talked about that. :D

Hiya Robin, yes it has been a whirlwind. I must confess I'm ready to slow down a bit now.

Thanks for the compliment on the pics. The water is definately a big part of my happy place as well. :D

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

It is good to see you back, and I'm glad to hear you have a great editor. Makes a world of difference!

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thank you, Sandra. I couldn't agree more about the editor. This is going to be fun. :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.