Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Fear Me

So, I had a little time to kill the other day. I was thinking about the power of Myspace as a promotional tool and had a rather strange idea. I’m sure we’ve all seen pages set up to promote books, that had a blurb, the cover and a bit of news about release dates and special offers, etc.

I decided to create a page for one of my characters from The Dance. I started to make one for my hero, but I thought it would be more fun to do it for Kyle…the serial killer and arguably the true star of The Dance.

I created the page, made reference to The Dance, filled in plenty of detail that screamed of the evils in Kyle’s mind and even listed serial killer as his occupation. I added a few friend requests and sat back to see what would happen. He is a hit. It is now becoming a rather intriguing social experiment.

I think I know where the problem lies and before I go any further, I should probably explain. For those of you who read bits and pieces of the original text (Kyle is the character you may remember as Jerry in the first incarnation of the tale), you might remember that Kyle is big. He’s tall, muscle bound and has a smile that could melt the heart of a nun. I searched for a pic to use in the profile that would be representative. I found something close and inserted it. It’s just a picture of a very brawny chest and arms.

Well, I believe several people have become blinded by biceps. People obviously don’t take the time to read the profiles before they initiate contact. Not only has Kyle received several friend requests he already has a mailbox full of messages from young women wanting to get to know him better. All this despite the fact that in his interests he lists among other details fear and screams, I live for the sweet song of terror realized.

It’s enough to boggle the mind. Part of me wants to pull the plug on the project, but the twisted side of me wants to let it ride and see just where the path takes me.

These are truly strange days indeed.

I’ll keep you posted on Kyle’s progress. If anyone would like to see the profile for themselves, shoot me an email (or drop into my comments) and I’ll send the link.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger lime said...

man that is just creepy that evil attracts people. i guess it's like the women who write to death row inmates....just warped...

'blinded by biceps' good phrase!

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

no doubt, tell me about it. My wife made the same comparison when I told her about it.

Thanks for that. :D

Good guys may get the girl in the end, but apparantly bad guys get them with just the flex of a muscle, lol.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I need to create another one for my twisted side. lol

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Whoa, I didn't realize you had a myspace page. Let me know what it is and I will friend you. Oh and I'll be sure to let Kyle pop in and say hello as well. :D

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger EA Monroe said...

What a social experiment, James! I hope the cops don't show up on your doorstep looking for Kyle!!

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol, that is a possibility... What do they say? There's no such thing as bad publicity. :D

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Jerry said...

James,
That is pretty amazing. There are a lot of freaks out there, huh?

Did you ever see the movie Hard Candy? Yikes!

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger EA Monroe said...

James, you can thank Josie and a bunch of other bloggers, but since Donnetta is too sick, you've been tagged. Sorry. Fear Me! Haha! ~Liz

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Sobering, on one hand, as social commentary, init?

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Inside our hands, outside our hearts said...

If you would, please send me a link or drop it by my blog.... I am interested.


Thank you

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Donnetta Lee said...

Such is the state of the world today! My curiosity: I would like to take a peek! Take care, James!
Donnetta

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Right on, here is the link: http://www.myspace.com/thedancekyle

Enjoy... :D

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger David said...

indeed a lot of people ( girls) have no idea what they are doing when they push the "send" key.
are there no real men out there to met and converse with?
interesting study

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.