Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, July 16, 2007

Bang Your Head

We slipped over to Rocklahoma over the weekend. It was a four day concert hosting such 80s Mega-Hair-Bands as: Poison, Vince Neil, Twisted Sister, Ratt, Queensryche, Dokken, Winger, Bulletboys, Jackyl, Slaughter, Skid Row, Great White, Warrant, Firehouse, LA Guns, White Lion, Faster Pussycat, Bang Tango, and well…you get the idea. Check out the link above for the full list.

I didn’t hear the final total, but rumor has it nearly 50,000 fans showed up to witness this monumental event. It was so successful, they’ve already begun plans for next year’s gig.

I must confess, it was a great time, but it brought back very vivid memories of bad hair and even worse clothing choices. People watching at such an event is a must. I would say a good 5% of the people we passed, slipped easily (I hope they had to dig out the clothes and do that with their hair) back into the heavy metal headbanger role.

A few of the bands sounded like they hadn’t practiced their songs in the last twenty years, but for the most part, these guys still know how to rock. Winger in particular was just fantastic. So much so, I’m now compelled to repurchase their music, both new and old.

Other than that, we had a rather quiet weekend. I finished up this round of edits for The Dance and worked on a couple of other writing related projects. We even managed to work enough time to watch a DVD on Sunday, but then…that’s a whole other post, now isn’t it?

How did you spend your weekend?

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like you're a "rescuer".

I think that is good: so many walking wounded out there.

Ivan

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous islandgrovepress said...

Whoops,

Sorry James.

That was meant for "inside our hands, outside our hearts."

Google acting up.

Ivan

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

No worries, though I must admit I was a bit confused... :D

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Wow, sounds like a lot of fun! The only one I've seen is Ratt (when they toured with Bon Jovi). Nice to see so many in one spot -- like a mall for rock-n-roll. :~)

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

like a mall for rock-n-roll. :~)


...and bad hair, lol.

Seriously, it was a lot of fun. :D

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger EA Monroe said...

James, I think Ivan is plotting world-blog-domination!

Wow, I would have gone just to gawk at all the people! I didn't do much of anything this weekend, although I did do some sewing and reviewed a couple of chapters from a wip.

Oh, and we did watch Black Snake Moan in which Samuel L. Jackson played guitar and sang.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Oh, I've been wanting to see that!!! hopefully, I'll get a chance soon. :D

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger lime said...

LOL, i had to laugh about your people watching comments. i can just envision it. the mullets are frightening...

thanks also for your kind words at mty place this weekend. all was not entirely lost. i did enjoy a nice visit with friends who were in town.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Glad to hear there was a reprieve, Lime. :D

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

I found out that a friend from my teen years played bass for Steelheart that day. Too bad I missed it.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.