Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Out and About

I just can’t get over how friendly the good people of Corpus Christi are. It’s almost humbling to be in the presence of such perpetually unabashed kindness.

After dinner yesterday, I decided to slip over to The Executive Surf Club for a little music and a tasty beverage or two. I stepped up to the bar, card in hand to start a tab, and the guy next to me sees the card and quips, “Hey, it’s mighty nice of you to buy a round for the bar.”

I cut him a sideways glance, crack a smile and proceed to place my order. As I walk away I tell the bartender to put the fellow’s next drink on my tab. He comes outside (they have a patio area where the live music is performed) determined to return the favor. His name is Mike (a transplant from Alaska) and turns out to be a very amicable man. After a nice conversation, he suggests we slip down the block to The Havana Club, a quaint, upscale little cigar bar often frequented by some very interesting individuals. I say sure and we make the short jaunt to the new haunts within minutes.

Once inside, he introduces me to a merry band of troublemakers from all walks of life, but who’ve known each other since high school (in one instance since elementary). We made fast friends and before I knew it, they whisked me away to a great little Italian restaurant (I insisted that I’d already eaten for the evening, but they kindly pointed out, I didn’t have to eat to enjoy good company). It turns out, this is a great group of people. The dinner conversation was lively and colorful and they have a long time relationship with the proprietor of the restaurant (a wonderful Sicilian who was delighted when I introduced myself in Italian and inquired about his origins) so the banter often included playful outbursts from the owner. It was a grand experience and seemed to capture the very essence of what I’ve come to enjoy so much about this little city on the bay. I will definitely look them up on my next trip to Corpus.

I’m headed home in just a couple of hours. By the time, my wife gets home from work. I should be in Tulsa (or fairly close). As much fun as I’ve had on this trip, I still have to say…there’s no place like home. Here’s to sleeping in my own bed tonight.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Blogger lime said...

aaahhh, if you have to be far from home and family it sounds like you really found the best possible place to be. :)

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Donnetta Lee said...

So glad you had a good visit there-and made new friends, too. I'm sure your family will be tickled to see you, though. Just click your heals together twice and say, there's no place like home. Safe flying.
Donnetta

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

Sounds great! Know what you mean about your own bed, though. We always say, it's nice to get away, but even better coming home.

I'm trying to blog more often. Note I said trying. So if I don't pop over for another gawd knows how many months, you know I failed!

:o)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.