Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Friday, May 04, 2007

In Sickness and Health

“Talk to me.” He pleaded with her back. “What have I done to deserve this?”
He stepped closer, letting his breath move her hair. His hand hovered near her shoulder, the warmth of her skin wafting across his palm. But…he couldn’t.

“I know you’re upset, Sabrina, but I can’t fix this, if you don’t tell me what’s wrong.”
Her shoulders slumped, dropping away from his touch. She crumpled. He cupped her elbows, guiding her to the sofa. She fell into the cushions. Her gaze fell to the picture on the end table. He watched her intently as she picked up their wedding picture, tracing the curve of his cheek with her finger.

A trail of mascara washed over her cheeks. The center of the stream was still fluid, but the outer edges already dried and flaked. She looked like she wore a painted mask.
He reached to caress her face, but something in her eyes stopped him. He withdrew his fingers.
“How could you do this to me?”
He drew his fingers back further, clenching them. “What has gotten into you?”
“It’s not good for me to talk to you anymore.” The muscles of her throat contracted and expanded as she swallowed hard. “I need get better. I need to be strong.”

“That’s ridiculous. The doctor said there was nothing wrong with you.”
“Why did you have to take me to that place?”
Her eyes unfocused, looking past him.
“It was for your friend, remember?”

She kissed the picture. “We were at the party and you had such a good time, but then…you always knew how to have a good time.”
“I’m not talking about the party, God damn it!” Why is she doing this?
“Oh, Marcus.” She sobbed, clutching the picture to her chest. “That other car, the red light…I can still hear the scream of our brakes. That sound…the sound of glass breaking and metal bending--”
“I know it scared you and I said I’m sorry. So, I had a few too many glasses of wine. It couldn’t have been that bad or they would have thrown my ass in jail.”
“I don’t think you ever even saw that other car. We just plowed right into it.” She let herself fall to her side on the couch, staring up at the ceiling.

“But you’re alright. You came out of it with nothing more than a few scratches.”
“I can’t believe it’s over.”
“What do you mean over? I love you.”
She pulled the picture from her chest; held it at arms length above her face.
“Why did you leave me?”
“I didn’t--”
His words died in his throat as she slung the picture across the room, smashing it against the wall.
“Oh God,” she cried out. “Why did you have to let him die?”

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Scary.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I felt that.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger lime said...

a very very worthy repost. tremendously evocative.

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger EA Monroe said...

James, I always enjoy reading your "shorts." There's always a surprise.

Thanks for dropping in over at The Shadowlands and leaving your gracious comment for my friend Edie. ~Liz

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Donnetta Lee said...

James: I really enjoyed this. Wish I had written it! Reminds me of "The Ghost Whisperer."
Donnetta

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thank you all, for your kind words. I really appreciate them.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.