Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, May 28, 2007

In the Early Morning Rain

Before I dive into my usual Monday drivel, I want to take a minute to recognize my brothers and sisters who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country. Thank you. You will be missed. When I see you again, we’ll do a final march, our cadence will sound like thunder to those below.

Got a letter in the mail
Go to war or go to jail
Got a letter in the mail
In the early morning rain
I packed my bags, I kissed my wife
And headed for the Army life
I packed my bags, I kissed my wife
In the early morning rain
I told my son not to cry
But I had tears in my eyes
I told my son not to cry
In the early morning rain
With my weapon in my hand
And a pocket full of sand
With my weapon in my hand
In the early morning rain
Got the enemy to my front
And the ocean to my rear
Wounded dying's all I hear
In the early morning rain
As I'm laying here to rest
Caught a bullet in the chest
Even though I've done my best
In the early morning rain
Tell my darling not to cry
Cause I'll never say good-bye
Tell my darling not to cry
In the early morning rain
Many a soldier will die today
Guess there's nothing left to say
So our children, they can play
In the early morning rain
Yes, now Sergeant I can see
Why this training's good for me
Forever more we will be free
In the early morning rain

And now for something a little lighter...

I’ve heard it said that the two happiest days in a boat owner’s life are the day he buys his first boat and the day he sells it. I’m beginning to see what they mean.

I purchased a new Wakeboard tower and racks about a month ago. I installed it myself. The manual clearly tells you that it is a two man job, but as I was trying to install it during the small gaps we had between rain storms, I opted to tackle this beast mano e mano. It came together nicely, though it took quite a bit longer than it would have had I called in an extra set of hands.

I spent most of last week, preparing the boat for the big boating weekend. I performed all of the standard preventative maintenance tasks as well as a few aesthetic touch ups. I also installed a new sonar system, because my last one died a horrible death on our last trip of the season for the previous year.

By Friday, I was chomping at the bit. By the time school was out and the Mrs. home from work, I had the trailblazer packed, the boat hitched up and was pacing around the living room waiting patiently for our departure.

We made it to the lake with plenty of daylight to spare. We dropped the boat in the water and with a flick of a switch, the engine purred to life. My wife circled the boat, while I went to park the truck. I boarded the vessel with the giddy anticipation, I can only compare to childhood memories of Christmas morning. We just cleared the “no wake” buoys, when the boat died.

That’s right, the !@#$ thing refused to play with us. I did get to see how cold the water was, as I had to bring us back to shore and trailer the POS by hand. Upon our dejected return to the house, I quickly tore into the boat in hopes of finding a plausible explanation of why it had passed every inspection only to leave us stranded. No such luck. It appears to have a major malfunction in the fuel delivery system. It looks like my Spyder will have to make yet another trip to the boat shop.

Oh, well…I guess there is always next weekend.

We made the best of it though. We went bowling (my wife smoked us both with her awesome bowling skills), braved the crowds to see the latest installment of Pirates of the Caribbean and had family and friends over for cookouts. Not the way I envisioned the weekend going, but not a bad way to spend the holiday in the end.

I’m also heading out to another cookout and general good time at my sister-in-law’s house this afternoon. There should be volleyball, horseshoes and of course plenty of swimming pool time.

No boat, no problem.

How have you spent your long weekend?

2 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Blogger lime said...

terrific tribute...thank you

sorry about the boat, that's very depressing.

2 of our kids have made ER trips in the last month...we had to do it for the third....good lord but i have had anough of this crap...just heat exhaustion fortunately. she's fine now

 
At 6:32 AM, Anonymous linda said...

your poem made me cry...it's so beautiful but soooo sad.
I am so sorry about the boat but it sounds like you made the best of the situation.
does Shelly know that chick on your boat????? LOL!!! just kidding
love MoM
hope your week goes wonderfully

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.