Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Start Spreading The News

I have one rule in the workplace that is absolute. It was instilled in me during my seldom elaborated on but oft eluded to military stint. The rule? Never ask a man to do something you wouldn’t do yourself. I think every great leader should live and die by this rule. Every once in a while, one is presented with an opportunity to really put their resolution to uphold this rule to the test.

Someone, in their infinite wisdom, decided to mount a pressure transmitter in such a location as to allow it to only be serviced by creatures of the winged variety and madmen. I was fresh out of the ones with wings.

So, there I was swinging about a hundred and twenty feet above the concrete deck, feet planted on a pipe, one hand gripping a run of conduit and the other stretching as far as I could to reach the instrument, when suddenly my phone rang. Now, most people would ignore the phone under such precarious conditions, but twenty one days of less than adequate sleep can sometimes addle one’s decision making process. I loop my arm around another piece of pipe to help keep me upright and dug out the phone.

Caller: “Whatcha doing?”
Me: “Oh…just hanging out. What can I do for you?”
Caller: “Are you in the unit? I hear a lot of background noise.”
Me: “Yeah, it’s pretty windy up here.”
Caller: “You know…you’re not supposed to use cell phones in a unit. It’s dangerous.”
Me: “Reeeally? Dangerous, you say.”
Caller: “You betcha. Why don’t you make your way over to a safe place and call me back.”
Me: “Will do.”

The moral of this story? The most obvious danger isn’t always the one you should worry about.

In other news, my tour of duty in beautiful downtown Baghdad Coffeyville, Kansas is nearly at an end. I received word today I will leave this job on Saturday morning, rest up Sunday and report to my next assignment on Monday morning. Don’t worry, the next one will only consist of eight hour days. That’s right…I’m about to be a proud blogger once again.

So, what have you been up to while I was away?

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 4:42 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

I soo relate, James!

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger lime said...

oh my stars, james!!! the chlorine inhalation, the blown achilles tendon....you had me holding my breath while you related this tale.

you've been missed. i'm glad you're back (and still in one piece)

me? the oldest limelette entered the workforce, the youngest started baseball season, the middlest continues on as a fairly standard issue 13 yr old girl. and janita turned a year on sunday, hahaha.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

That is scary!

I got engaged and found out that we are both going to be jobless in 90 days.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

Um, don't do that again?

Me? Writing, spamming, chasing cats, the usual.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

Goodness! With the luck you have had in the past year you were not only climbing but answering your cell phone up there too while holding on one handed? LOL! I would have done the same thing to be honest with you!

It is good to see you back to blogging and just to let you know, I am back myself. Well pretty much. I will have my 10 meg cable hook up on Tuesday and then I will become a blogging fool!LOL!

I have been taking my son to baseball practice two nights a week then attending two games a week with him. I have been helping my youngest daughter earn her bronze award in Girl Scouts which means that she and I have been running our tails off. My eldest daughter has been pretty quite and undemanding the past few weeks and I am going to keep my fingers crossed that she stays that way for another week or two..heehee.

Everything here is going great, beautiful weather and all!

I hope you have a great weekend and I hope you can finally catch up on some rest and relaxation!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger EAMonroe said...

It's about time, James! You have been missed! Oh, I've just been up to my usual mischief.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Good to hear you're coming back to the blogsphere!

I had surgery Monday to remove my gall-bladder. So far I'm in ridiculous amounts of pain. Hopefully I'll be better next week.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thank you, everyone for the warm welcome back. Sadly, I've been delayed yet another day. I won't get off this job until Sunday and I will still report to the next project on Monday. It will likely be on Monday that I resume my normal blogging activities.

lol, Bernita.

Wow, Lime it sounds like I missed alot. How long was I gone. :D

Congrats again on the engagement, Carrie. Sorry to hear about the jobs. How do you guys feel about heights? I could always put you to work for me. :D

lol,Bailey, I'll do my best not to use a cellphone in the plant again. Ah, that sounds like a perfectly lovley way to pass the time.


Yeah, Breazy!!! Welcome back to you as well. I miss going to watch my son play sports. I'm glad things are zipping along for you though. :D

lol, Liz...I'll have to make it by your blog this weekend to see what kind of mischief you speak of... :D

Oh, that's aweful Leslie. I hope the pain subsides soon. It seems like it took about a week to fully recover when I had mine removed. My thoughts are with you. Before I forget, we are planning to try to come see you guys this summer.

Anyhoo, I've missed you all and I can't wait to start visiting your blogs again.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Donnetta Lee said...

Sure have missed you, James! Glad you are back.

It sounds like you were in the Navy? My son was in the Navy for 6 years. First went to Diego Garcia and then to Keflavik, Iceland. It was very interesting. He was never on a ship!

I've just been working. Had tooth trouble lately with some oral surgery and been a bit under the weather. Hope it gets better soon.

Looking forward to your posts!

Donnetta

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

My word James! Don't worry, you'll catch up. It's nice to see you back, and I'm glad to hear the next job will be more manageable.

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Donneta. It's good to be back. :D

I was in the Army, but oddly enough some of my best friends over the years have been in the Navy.

Oh, I hope you feel better soon as well.

Hi Sandra, yeah...I'll get caught up but it might take a while. :D Getting normal hours will sure help.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.