Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Weekend Recap

I learned a valuable lesson last Thursday evening. It was for a subject I should have been prepared for well before it happened, but alas…hindsight is 20/20 and all that. I took my son for his second visit with a dentist. He needed to have a couple of cavities filled and I must admit, I was more nervous about it than he was. I’ve never had a cavity myself, so I had no experience with what was going to happen to him, only the horror stories, of drilling and whatnot, I’ve heard from others. You can imagine my surprise when he be bopped out of the office with a smile to proclaim it wasn’t as bad as everyone thought.

I take him home, all the while eyeing him warily. He insists that he’s fine and that I worry too much. The evening rolls on and I start to relax. We sit down to dinner a couple of hours later. I glance over at him and pause mid-chew. His lip is growing at an alarming rate. The lower left section particularly, but his whole mouth appears to be swelling. My first thought is that he’s having an allergic reaction to the Novocain or something else they used during the procedure.

I check his temperature and am quite relieved to find it normal. I check his mouth for signs of trauma, but can only find the barest hints of marks on his lower lip. With his lips swelled the way they were, it was hard to discern whether it was the cause or product of the swelling. I give him some Benadryl, just to be sure it isn’t a reaction and monitor it (as well as his temperature) for the rest of the evening.

The next morning, I take him back by the dentist and as soon as he sees my son, he says, “Oh, we’ve got a lip sucker.”

“What?” I exclaim.
“A lip sucker. Don’t worry Mr. Goodman this is quite a common occurrence. When children can’t feel their lips, they often suck on them to the point they break the tiny vessels in them or chew on them, blissfully unaware that they’re doing any damage.”

The swelling is completely gone but now that it is in the “healing” phase, I can definitely see that he bit the holy crap out of his lip. I can only hope he never has another cavity, but if he does, I’m betting he doesn’t chew on his lip anymore.

We rented a few movies for the weekend, I intend to do a proper review later this week, but will say for the record, Borat was a surprise treat for us.

On Sunday, I made chocolate chip cookies from scratch. They were a big hit with the family. I considered postponing the event, but my son assured me his lip didn’t hurt bad enough not to eat my homemade treats.

He handled the cookies so well, I thought I would prepare another treat for dinner, Fish Tacos. It is one of his favorite meals and quite easy to make so it seemed like a no brainer. He also loves guacamole, so I made up a batch (by far the most time consuming process of the meal). Turns out, his lip wasn’t as healed as he (we?) had hoped. So, when a child has a lip injury…Cookies = Good and Fish Tacos = Bad. Go figure…

How did you spend your weekend?

7 Comments:

At 5:57 AM, Blogger lime said...

oh you are such a good daddy! i've never had a cavity either but i had all 4 eye teeth pulled when i was about 12 or 13. that was wretched, my entire mouth was numb and yes, i tore up the inside of my cheeks and lips too. and i agree with the boy, chocolate chip cookies makes everything all better.

our weekend was a flurry of baby showers, birthday parties and catching up on schoolwork missed from a week of absences! i'm just glad the kids are well again, i was getting worried about the girls.

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I used to do that when I was a kid too. Poor thing. I'm really wanting to see Borat. Maybe when we get back.

I've never had fish tacos. It kinda scares me but the people that have had them, love them.

 
At 8:19 AM, Anonymous linda said...

I am glad ty is doing better.jordon has to go to the dentist to.he has 5 cavities!!!! i had a busy week-end.took my sgutters down and painted them and my front door. Josh & Jackie came out yesterday and josh tooke down the shutters that I couldn't reach and help me with a few repairs.
how do you make fish tacos? I have never eaten one.
Love
MoM

 
At 4:36 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol, Lime is that yet ANOTHER thing we have in common? :D

lol,Carrie. Don't be afraid of the Fish Taco. Give in to your curiosty.

Thanks, Mom. Fish Tacos are easy. first you take a tortilla and spread Mayo (shelly uses tarter sauce) on it. Place a light layer of Guacamole on one half. Add some diced onions and tomatoes. Place a piece of baked, breaded (optional) fish (seasoned with garlic), sprinkle on some shredded lettuce and viola!!! Fish Tacos. :D

 
At 4:36 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

oh, and roll 'em up or fold them over of course. :D

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Donnetta Lee said...

I'm sorry, James, but FISH taco?? It just doesn't sound...well...it sounds...yuk. But I'll take a big old helping of those chocolate chippers, please.

Donnetta

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol, I said the same thing when my friend told me about them. :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.