Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Friday, March 16, 2007

The Dance

I’ve had several requests to post another chapter of The Dance. So, being the obliging sort of fellow I am, below is the third chapter. If you like what you see, but are new here and would like to read the first two chapters you can find them here and here. Enjoy…

The Dance

Chapter 3


Kyle scrubbed his hands in the bathroom sink. He cranked up the hot water in hopes of letting the steam obscure his reflection in the mirror. He desperately didn’t want to see the scratches on his face.

“I can’t believe I botched that so bad,” he whispered into the steam.
“How could you be so careless?” Nina stood in the doorway, arms folded across her ample chest.
“She didn’t want to Dance with me,” Kyle replied. “Can you blame her?”
“It was very sloppy that time. I want it to be graceful, like it was before.” She stepped behind him, traced a heart on his back with a fingernail. “You remember how it was before, don’t you?”
“If you hadn’t been laughing so hard, they wouldn’t have woke up before we were ready.” His anger grew by the second, anger at himself, her, the world…everything.
“They couldn’t hear me. Neither of them moved until you told me to shush.”
“You’re so full of it,” Kyle snapped, yanking a towel from a ring mounted on the wall next to the sink.
“Oh, really? Maybe you should think about what you did again and we will see what actually happened.” Nina pressed her fingers over his eyes from behind.

Kyle struggled to no avail. Her hands were so small it was unimaginable that she could overpower him, but it was as if her grip was on his mind rather than his face. Images rushed by him in a blur. As they slowed to a halt, he realized he had just witnessed the night’s events in reverse order. He found himself kneeling with Nina behind a row of bushes. He could smell the aroma of damp earth wafting up and mixing with the fragrance of the brush. He started to rise when he saw a shadow cross behind the curtains in the window above them, but Nina placed a restraining hand on his forearm.

“Now is not the time,” she whispered, shaking the finger of her other hand at him.
They waited for what seemed like an eternity before she motioned for them to move. He carefully reached for the windowsill, tried to press it open.
“It won’t budge. Let’s try another one,” Kyle whispered after a few attempts.
“No, the more time we spend out here, the greater the chances become someone might see us.” Nina wrapped her arms around him and placed her right hand over his face.
When she removed her hand, they were standing in a darkened bedroom of the house. There were two forms lying motionless beneath the covers.
“I would like to introduce you to Carl and Terri.” She gestured to the bed.
“How did you do that?” he mouthed to her silently.
“I call it jumping. It’s a way of using your mind to take you places,” she whispered in his ear.

“What the hell are you talking about?” He turned to face her.
She only laughed in reply.
“Shh!” Kyle insisted, causing movement from the bed.
“You had better tend to that,” Nina teased in a playful voice. “But, don’t forget your steps. Oh, how I love to watch you Dance.”

His heartbeat quickened, pounding in his chest. He lunged at Carl just as he sat up in the bed. Kyle slammed his hand over Carl’s mouth to stifle the scream he knew was sure to come. You’ll have your chance to scream, but not before I’m good and God damned ready. Before he could subdue Carl, Terri sprang up from beneath the covers, clawing at his face. Kyle let go of the man to protect his face from her whirlwind assault. He fell to the carpet beneath a powerful blow to the side of his head. Carl had snatched the lamp from the nightstand beside the bed and swung it with all the might he could muster from his precarious position. Kyle curled into the fetal position, covering his head with his arms to protect himself while he gathered his wits. He waited for blows that never came. A wave of vertigo washed over him. He nearly fell again when he realized he was standing. How’d I get off the floor?

“What the hell? How did you do this? I thought you said you couldn’t do the Dance by yourself,” he called out as he looked down at the blood soaked bed.
“I didn’t do it by myself. I merely helped you do what needed to be done.” She cast him a quizzical glance.
“What is that God awful racket?” Tom looked at the stereo.
“It’s music. You said you like to hear music as you worked.”
“That’s not music. It sounds like some sort of Hindi prayer bullshit.”
“I like it and it’s important to me,” Nina insisted. “In time, I’m guessing it will become important to you as well.”
“Where did it come from?”
“Silly, you helped me make it. Don’t you remember?”

“Uh, sure…” he lied. I don’t think I would have had any part in recording something that horrible.
Kyle’s eyes darted around the room as he tried to process her words. He wasn’t sure what happened, but he was sure he didn’t remember doing anything. He looked down again, admiring Nina’s handiwork. Carl still sat in bed with his back and head leaning against the headboard. Kyle didn’t need to look into his vacant eyes to know he was dead. The cut along his belly that let his innards spill out over the blankets was more than enough evidence; he was no longer among the living.

Terri wasn’t in the bed, which gave Kyle a terrible start. Did she get away? What if she makes it to a phone? Are the police on their way even as I stand here with my dick in my hand? He looked down at his blood-covered hands. His shirt was absolutely soaked with the dark sticky liquid. The aroma triggered something in him that must be what most people would experience if they smelled a fresh cut rose.

“Oh, Loverboy!” Nina called from the hallway.
Kyle sprinted towards her voice. He found her standing at the top of the stairs, motioning for him to look over the railing. As he approached, he could see one end of a sheet tied to the rail, Terri’s ankle fastened securely to the other end. She shared the same fate as Carl; gutted like a fish. It appeared Nina had been particularly brutal with her slaying. Kyle felt sorry for her as he watched her body gently swinging above her living room floor, tracing a line of blood on the carpet beneath her.

Nina released her grip from his eyes, snapping Kyle out of his trance. He turned to face her, wondering why he found her so mesmerizing. A tiny voice nagged at him from the depths of his mind. It told him she should repulse him. He should see what a monster she was by what she had done. She didn’t even take the time to enjoy the Dance. He squashed the voice. How could I find her repulsive? She and I share the same love, the same needs, the same desires.

“I still don’t understand how you were able to kill those people. You said you couldn’t--” He let her take his hand in hers.
“I already told you I didn’t do it; you did the Dance for us, sloppily but you still did it,” Nina said in a husky voice.
“That’s impossible! I was laying on the floor, trying to keep my ass from being handed to me.”
“Really? Then why are you covered in blood?” She batted her eyes at him coyly.
“You must have spilled it on me when you gutted Carl,” he answered as he stomped into his bedroom.
“Whatever,” Nina said in a dismissive voice. “Is that really what you want to believe? I guess I can understand. The truth of most any situation can be a little hard to handle if your heart isn’t really into what you’re doing.”
“I’m not saying I wouldn’t have enjoyed it, but we both know I had nothing to do with what happened in there.”

“If that’s what you have to tell yourself to sleep at night.”
“Sleep…yeah, I should get some rest. We have a busy day tomorrow.”
He flopped onto his bed, covered his face with his forearm.
“Yes, we need to practice your steps. They have gotten rusty from lack of use.”
He just lay there, stewing. The events of the night troubled him. Even if he did kill that couple, still other things didn’t make sense.
“How did you carry me into the house?”
“I think that’s enough contemplation for the night, lover.” Nina stroked his face.
As she rubbed his face, a voice filled his thoughts, urging him to relax. He found it hard to resist. His eyes grew heavy, the need for answers faded away.
“Perhaps this will all make more sense tomorrow,” he mumbled as he drifted to sleep.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Blogger Donnetta Lee said...

Oh, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Where do you get your ideas from? Does your wife "edit" for you? When hubby was writing his research and magazine pieces, I always did the editing. Cheap help, you know! Hope all is well with you and yours.Happy St. Patty's Day from central Oklahoma! Donnetta

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

thank you, Donnetta. My ideas...from fevered dreams and shattered lives. From people watching and letting my imagiation run wild with their little quirks or phrases. The rest I just make up. :D

Yes, my wife has been quite helpful in the editing aspect as well. She has quite the keen eye. I also have a couple of wonderful Beta readers that do a great job of catching the mistakes in flow, voice, tense, etc...

I hope you are having a great weekend.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.