Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Friday, March 02, 2007

The Dance

Chapter 2


“You’re not real,” Kyle yelled at the shadows as they swirled in the corner of the room.
He sat in a worn leather recliner, watching television, trying to ignore the faces that mocked him in the darkness. They giggled at him from just inside his peripheral vision, but if he dared to turn and look at them, the shadows would solidify against the wall.

Guilt can play tricks on the mind, at least that’s what Kyle’s shrink kept telling him. Kyle was sure his grip on reality was slipping. The faces taunted him everywhere he went, and no amount of Haldol was going to make them go away.

“The fact that I know they can’t be real should be enough to tell me I’m not crazy, right?” he asked the TV.
“My dear boy, we have seen what you’ve done. We see them as they go, as they transition. We are always with you. We are always…watching,” they called from the corner.
“Go away!”
“But, we want to see more. We need to see more. Entertain us.”
“Stop it! Stop bothering me,” Kyle barked, staring at the wall in the direction of the voices to give himself a moment’s peace.

“We want to be entertained. Dance for us. Do your Dance so we might see,” they called out from the shadows behind the TV. “Dance so we might…live.”
“For the love of God, just leave me be!” he cried out, clasping his hands over his ears while squeezing his eyes shut.
“Your strength gives us strength. Your life gives us purpose. The Dance gives us…pleasure.”
The light of the TV prevented his eyelids from shutting out the images of the room. Shadows danced before his eyes, causing him to strain harder to keep them shut for fear of what he might see. How could they be between me and the TV? Don’t they live in the shadows?

“Open your eyes,” a woman’s voice urged, the sound slithered its way between his fingers.
Kyle began to whimper. His fear gripped him. “This isn’t real. This can’t be real. You’re all in my mind.”
“Then open your eyes. If it isn’t real, you will still be alone here in your living room,” the lady said, moving her mouth inches away from his left hand. He could feel her breath brush against his fingers.
“Why won’t you just let me be?” Kyle’s voice broke as he began to sob.

He had seen things, he knew he shouldn’t, for years, but it had never been this bad before. Seeing things that weren’t there was one thing, but feeling them, now that was something all together different.
“Because, no one else can do those things you do. Dance for me, lover. Make an old soul’s heart go pitter patter.” She caressed his cheek. The touch sent shivers through him.

A shadow was now blocking every inch of light from reaching his face. He let his left eyelid crack open, just a sliver. He glimpsed a set of full-pouty lips, hovering before him. He let his eyes open fully, hoping to end the illusion. She didn’t disappear. Her skin was so pale it was almost translucent. The only color in her face was the red in her lips. Look at those beautiful lips, so inviting, so moist, so… tasty. What I wouldn’t do for a taste of those lips--

“Of course, lover…if you will but Dance for me, I will let you taste anything you desire.” She tossed her head, her long black hair swung over her right shoulder.
“But I don’t want to do your Dance anymore. It is only a matter of time before someone figures out what I’m doing. They will come for me. It will be like it was before.”
“Do you really still think it’s a matter of want? You will Dance for me.” Her face hardened into a scowl.
Kyle hung his head in shame; her words rang true. He needed his Dance like his mother needed heroin.
“What shall I call you?” Kyle didn’t have the strength to argue.
“You may call me whatever you want, but my name is Nina,” she whispered as she sat in his lap.

He could feel her there, but she was light as a feather. This isn’t real. I’m just sick; my mind is still jacked. I should call Dr. Pearlman.
“Your mind is fine, more than that…it’s brilliant.” She attempted to quell his unspoken fears. “Will you Dance for me?”
“I will try, but these things take time. I have to find just the right partners. I have to plan and prepare. I have to--”
“I have taken care of all that for you, lover. I found the perfect couple. They are waiting for you, anxious to see what wonders you have to share with them.”
“How did you--”
“Shh.” She placed a finger over his lips. “Now is not the time for those sorts of questions.”

“I will gather my things,” Kyle relented, not sure if he had a choice.
“That would be splendid, lover. I will be here, waiting with baited breath.”
Kyle went to his bedroom; stepped into the closet. He finally emerged with a large canvas duffle bag slung across his shoulder. He knelt beside her, intoxicated by her fragrance as it floated on the air.

“If we’re really gonna do this, let’s get started. Where do we need to go?” He stared at her expectantly as she ran her fingers across his bare chest.
“Come…I will show you, lover.” She jumped to her feet, extended her hand to him. A smile spread across her face when he accepted.

Something in her smile gave him the overwhelming urge to drop to his knees and grovel at her feet. I’ve never seen anything so beautiful in my entire life. He fell to the floor, his entire body trembling. He let his hands stretch out, praying she would deign to let him touch her. She knelt before him, placing a finger beneath his chin. Her touch stilled his tremors. As she helped him to his feet, a calm washed over him the likes of which he hadn’t experienced in years.

“If you will just focus on the task at hand, I will do everything in my power to make your dreams come true.”
He would have prayed for guidance, but he was sure his words would fall on deaf ears. They always had.
“I’m yours…do with me what you will.” His voice was tiny a stark contradiction to his massive frame.
“This is only the beginning; many are the people who could benefit from your talents. You know we mustn’t keep them waiting.”

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger snavy said...

Did you change his name?

I love this story!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger lime said...

intriguing.....

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Snavy. Yeah, I had several bits of feedback that suggested the whole "Tom and Jerry" angle was so cheeky it hurt the novels salability.

Thanks, Lime. :D

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Donnetta Lee said...

Well this is haunting. I love the dialogue. I can hear the voices, see the images. Have you posted it before since Snavy asks if you've changed his name? "...the power to make your dreams come true." Ties back into "I Have a Dream." Enjoyed. Donnetta

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Donnetta. Yes, I posted an earlier version, several chapter actually. Hah, I didn't even catch the connection to the previous post. Thanks for pointing it out. :D

 
At 6:24 AM, Anonymous linda said...

bravo,bravo, i love this story can't wait to read more of it.
love
MoM

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

I thank you, thank you very much.:D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.