Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

You Suck

I found myself in a unique position the other day. I finished my last book and hadn’t purchased any new ones. My wife suggested I try one she had in her “to read” stack,You Suck by ,Christopher Moore.

“What’s it about?” I said.
“It’s a love story,” she replied with a shrug.
“I don’t do love stories,” I reminded her. “It’s not really my thing.”
“It’s supposed to be funny.”
“I do funny, but come on…a love story? What else you got in the stack?”
“Don’t be so closed minded. Besides, it’s about vampires and I know you like vampire stories.”
“So it’s a comical vampire love story?” I let out a long breath to emphasize my lack of enthusiasm. “What the hell…let’s give it a whirl.”

I couldn’t put the book down. I’m telling you this book was laugh out loud funny. I devoured the whole thing in a couple of days (since I usually only get a couple of hours a day to read this is significant).

Young vampires in love, not just young in the sense they had just been turned, but they were quite young when it happened. Not only are they dealing with all the ramifications of being undead, they still have to deal with the awkward hormone driven angst of the average nineteen year old. Throw into the mix a smart mouth sixteen year old Goth girl minion, a huge cat, a couple of loveable homeless guys, a pack of vampire hunters who work nights at the local Safeway and a spiteful master vampire hell bent on destroying the young couple and well, as you can imagine things get sticky.


Seriously, this book is a must read. I haven’t laughed this much while reading since the first time I read The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

Rating: 5 Stars

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 4:58 AM, Blogger lime said...

the title with the synopsis certainly grabs me. it sounds like a fun read. i may need to add it to the list! see? us girls don't always have bad taste in books. neener neener neener

 
At 5:27 AM, Anonymous linda said...

I actually got to read a couple pages of that book while in the hospital waiting room with Shelly. It did catch my attention so I may have to borrow that one from you.However I myself can't say much for the the hitchikers guide to the galaxy. I just couldn't get into it.
love
MoM

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I have a stack this high of books to read. One more week of school and I am going to be reading like crazy.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Breazy said...

Hey James! Thanks for the book review , I will have to check that one out! Have a good week!

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol, indeed, Lime. Sometimes you girls get it right. :D

Sure, mom. I'll bring it by after Shelly finishes it.

Sweet! Freedom!!!!! Carrie, I bet you are looking forward to that. I like the new pic btw.

No Problem, Breazy. You have good week too.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.