Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Weekend Recap

As most of you know, I’ve been working from my home since I accepted my new position as Controls Engineer with JVIC. Well, for the next two weeks I’ll be working on location for a short project. I’ve often wondered what that first on site visit would be like. Would it be much different than my old job? What would the people be like? How different will the equipment and instrumentation be? You know…the standard worries one has when they first visit a new place.

As luck would have it, my first on site visit will be to Syntroleum. Yes, Syntroleum is the company I left to work for JVIC. No, the irony isn’t lost on me. This should be fun to say the least.

This weekend was fairly quiet as far as weekends go. My wife contracted the plague (or at least a really nasty bug) last week and didn’t start feeling like herself until Sunday. My son also came down with the bug on Friday and well as of this morning he seems alright, but we’ll just have to see how the day goes.

I rented a bundle of movies since the only thing we seemed up for was laying on the couch. I thought about giving them each a proper review, but I’ve chosen instead to give a quick opinion of each here today.

School for Scoundrels was a decent movie, but not nearly as funny as I had hoped. It’s the story of a group of losers who enlist the help of a so called teacher to turn them into “Lions”. When one of them seems to stand above the rest, the teacher sees it as a challenge and sets out to ruin his life. It’s worth a watch if you have nothing else to do.

Rating: 3 Stars

Stay Alive was better than I expected. With good special effects and better than average acting, it even caught the interest of my “not so big on horror movies” wife. Video games don’t kill people, people kill people. Oh, unless the video game was created in such a way as to resurrect the ghost of the single most vicious female serial killer (based on an actual person) in recorded history. Yeah, this was a fun little movie and a good way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Rating: 4 Stars

The remake of The Amityville Horror scared me shitless was much better than the original. The special effects and well timed percussions will leave an impression you won’t soon forget. This is a story that is supposedly based on an actual event. God help us all, if this really happened. I’m just saying…

Rating: 5 Stars

The Departed boasted a star studded cast, with actors such as Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, Leo Dicaprio, and Martin Sheen to name a few. It is the story of perceptions, deceptions and taking what you want. It was a good movie, but a little predictable. When you have this many bad people in one place, somebody is not going to have a happy ending.

Rating: 4 Stars


And now for my single favorite movie of the weekend, The Illusionist. Man o’ man, I love this movie. Ed Norton plays an illusionist whose performance is so real, it leaves you wondering if his character actually has magical abilities. Yeah, this is a love story, but it is so entwined with a story about magic, intrigue and a woman beating murder with aspirations of greatness, you really don’t mind. Don’t even bother renting this one. Just march right out and buy it so you can watch it over and over again.

Rating: 5 Stars

So, how did you spend your weekend?

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 4:23 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Shovelling snow and shovelling something else on the computer for my new WIP.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

We also watched The Departed over the weekend. It is such a great flick! We also rented Flags of Our Fathers, the Clint Eastwood masterpiece, and Fly Boys. I liked them both as well. It was nice to see a movie about WWI for a change. I get so tired of films focusing on Vietnam or WWII and not portraying other memorable wars in history. Fly Boys did that, and it was great. Jim also made a trip to the theater to see Ghostrider and said it "kicked ass".

In other news, your new baby cousin could be here as soon as next week! Doc's gonna let everything progress at week 36, which begins next Sunday, without any labor prevention. It'll be nice to get off this goofy "stop labor" med I've been having to take. Makes me spacey -- No, I'm not already spacey enough without the med, unlike what my dear sweet husband says. Ha! Ha! He thinks he's so funny. NOT!

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

5 movies in one weekend??? I bet I haven't watched 5 movies in the last 6 months. I guess it you feel yucky there isn't much else to do.

I want to see the departed.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger lime said...

oh man, gotta hate when the plague hits like that. i hope you're not the next to fall. hope mrs and kiddo feel better soon.

lol@ having to go to syntroleum....have fun!

can you guess which movie on your list i'll be avoiding like plague?...i KNOW you can. If it scared you shitless it would leave me a quivering puddle of hysteria who couldn't sleep for days. you'd laugh your ass off if i told how how well i handled 6th sense. yeah, i'm passing on amityville horror, tyvm...

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Oh, I feel for you, Bernita. If I never have to shovel snow again, it will be too soon.

That's fantastic news, Leslie. I bet you can't wait. :D

lol, carrie. yeah, it's not often that we have such movie marathons, but when you feel yucky, that's the time to get one in.

Yeah, Lime, I thought of you when I wrote up the description for Amityville, lol.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger EA Monroe said...

We saw The Illusionist and loved it, too. Now, I'm waiting for The Prestige to come out to see if it stands up to The Illusionist. I sure enjoyed the sunshine and warm temps this weekend! I hope the plague goes away soon!

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

School for Scoundrels was one of my biggest movie disappointments for 2006 .. I usually like Todd Phillips' movies, and find Billy Bob Thornton to be a very funny actor, but this one was just mean without being funny, and didn't work at all for me

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Liz. I hope so too and yep...I loved all the sunshine this weekend.

It was ideed a dissappointment, Reel. Oh, well they can't all be good or we wouldn't have anything to compare them with. :D

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Donnetta Lee said...

Hi, James. Yes, Liz told me some time ago that hubby and I would like The Illusionist. We are movie watchers. I would enjoy anything with Ed Norton in it. We still haven't watched it yet, but must soon! Hope the family is on the mend. And that the job goes well. Donnetta

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Most definately, Donnetta. I plan to watch it again very soon. :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.