Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Book Review: Thief of Lives

Before we move on to the review, I just wanted to thank everyone for the kind comments and emails I received yesterday. All is well, and I should be back to my ornery self soon.

A couple of months ago I read Dhampir by Barb and J.C. Hendee. It was a fantastic book. Action packed and well structured characters it was a fun read.

The other day, I picked up the sequel, Thief of Lives. I dove into the book with much enthusiasm. About twenty pages into the book, I began to worry. It had yet to really pick up the pace. While they were doing a fine job of fleshing out the world and the characters, the amount of detail they were using seemed to drag the story to a crawl.

There was enough happening early on, that I decided to push on to see where the story was headed. I’m glad I did. Once the story took it off, it reminded me again of why I enjoyed the first book so much.

Synopsis

Magiere the dhampir with the help of Leesil, her half-elf partner, leave their retirement dreams of running a tavern in Miiska when a group vampires besiege the town of Bela-and are discovered to be in a league with the town's most prominent elders. Not all is what it seems as they follow the trail of bodies to an unexpected source. They face new challenges as they battle for their lives. Not only is one of the Noble Dead a conjurer, but Leesil’s past comes back to haunt them as an elf assassin (Anmglahk) seeks them out.

I think this book is a treat not only for those who love a good vampire story, but those who enjoy a good fantasy to boot. Despite the shaking beginning, this book was a great read.


Rating: 4 stars


Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 5:06 AM, Blogger lime said...

glad to hear all is well. thanks also to your mom for the little updates. you have such a terrofic mom...but you know that.

glad you enjoyed that book after all! it's so disapointing to slog thru and not enjoy something you've anticipated.

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Oh, I couldn't agree more, Lime. Iget so little time to actually sit down and enjoy a book, when it's a dissapointment, it feels like crushing blow.

oh, and yeah, my mom is a great woman. :D

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous snavy said...

I'm glad things went well.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Snavy. :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.