Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Smash and Gab

Yesterday afternoon, my wife ran out of medication. She called it in and I opted to go pick it up for her on account of how bad the roads are. I hop in my 4wd Trailblazer, back out of the garage, and proceed to slide down the driveway.

Ok, this ought to be fun, I thought. 4wd doesn’t make a hoot, when all the streets are covered with a nice smooth sheet of ice. There are a few people out and about, so I figure if I can get out of my neighborhood, the main streets should be treated by now.

It’s a straight shot and I’m idling along, using the gas pedal only to get up a small incline in our road. I’m two houses from the stop sign where my road meets the main road. I press my brake. Nothing. If anything, it feels like I accelerated. I tap my brakes, I slam my brakes, I don’t seem to be slowing down for anything. I look left and right, to my left a decent size truck is making his way down Garnett, which to my disbelief is covered with as much ice as the neighborhood.

I quickly realize, that now that I’m finally slowing down, I’m going to stop in the middle of the road and as close as this truck is, he’s going to T-bone me. I hit the gas. Now, I know I can’t stomp on it, or I’ll just spin wildly out of control. I’m hoping I can pick up enough speed to get across the street and turned away from him before the collision.

BOOM. Yep, he smacked into the back of me. He had no choice. I couldn’t get clear and I didn’t leave him near enough distance to come to a stop on such treacherous roads.

We finally skid to a stop. I open my door and the first thing I hear is, “what the hell’s the matter with you?” The guy is obviously upset.

I step out, suddenly thinking that I’m going to have to fight somebody on top of everything else. Then I notice he has three kids in his car. He’s understandably upset but he starts to calm down. We call the police and as we wait for them to show up, we talk quite civilly and he even apologized for be so “grumpy” when he first got out.

No one was hurt, but both of our vehicles look like they will need substantial repair. Groovy… This will go down as another reason why I hate winter.

9 Comments:

At 4:56 AM, Blogger lime said...

oh man, that really stinks. i'm just glad no one was injured. you've had enough of that lately.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Thank God, it was not worse!

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

Glad you and the other vehicle's passengers are okay.

I do miss Oklahoma winters and the pretty fluffy snow every once in a while, but I do not miss the ice. Pretty snow = good, ice = bad.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Breazy said...

I am glad that you nor anyone else was hurt but I am sad that the new trailblazer got a boo-boo. I hope you have an uneventful wonderful day !

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous linda said...

I to am very grateful that you are not hurt! I am sorry that you veh got damaged but just be glad that everyone walked away still intact.
STAY HOME!!!!!!! :-)
lOVE
MoM
I agree this ice SUCKS!!!!!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

That sucks! I went out yesterday to get a few things from my apartment, you know warm clothes. The parking lot at my apartment was completely iced over and my explorer was doing it's thing. I finally slid into a parking spot and didn't hit anyone.

I'm working today but I am encouraging everyone to stay home or let me fax stuff to them. My motto is "If they know I am here, they will try to come here." So I avoid letting them know.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger snavy said...

James - sorry about the car -- glad you're ok.

It is so icy here!!

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

I saw on the Houston news last night how they prepare for that kind of thing down here... We've just got a bit of sleet and freezing rain in the areas of northwest Houston (none down in our direction), and the bridges and overpasses have been freezing. TX DOT sprinkles crushed limestone instead of sand and salt over the roads, and they've got some sort of concrete antifreeze liquid that is sprayed over the roads that keeps ice from forming in the first place. However, this morning's news reports of all the accidents proves Houstonians still don't know how to drive on slick roads--idiots! I've heard the crushed limestone is better than the sand/salt, but it's very expensive. They don't need it very much here, so Texas can afford the stuff. I'm interested to know more about this liquid concrete antifreeze stuff though. Sounds great if it keeps ice from forming in the first place.

 
At 4:42 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

No Doubt, Lime.

Yep, it could have been a lot worse, Bernita

Ice is one of the sickest jokes of nature, Leslie.

I made sure the day was uneventful, Breazy. :D


Thanks, mom. I did.

Sounds like a good plan, Carrie

Thank, Snavy. How much longer till spring?

Lol, Houstons that don't know how to driv on ice?

Now tha's just odd... :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.