Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Running In Circles

Four years ago, I wrote the greatest book ever to be unleashed on the human race. How could it not be? I poured my heart, soul and tears into this thing. It didn’t take long to realize (yanno, in publishing time, which was seven or eight months) not only was it not ready to be submitted, but it was crap. Oh, don’t get me wrong, the basic concept was fine; the writing was the problem. Yeah, I was a sucky writer with delusions of grandeur.

I skinned my knees a couple of times early on in the submission process. It sucked, but I began to learn. I developed a vague sense of just how much I didn’t know about the biz. It grew. I queried far and wide. Looking back, even my query letters sucked. I received stacks and stacks of form rejections if I received any response at all.

I read. I learned. I grew. I put my first attempt under the bed. I set out to write another book. As it turns out, it wasn’t quite ready either, but at least with that one, I began to comments and suggestions along with the standard form rejection.

I attended a Con, where my eyes were opened all the wider. Not only did I learn a few things, I made a few new contacts. I also, discovered the joys of having a beta reader.

I wrote a novella, it was accepted. I learned a bit from that. I wrote some short stories. Still more I learned.

I went back and with the help of some encouraging beta readers, tore the original works to shreds, only the idea survived and even that was twisted and changed. I took a break, wrote more shorts, had them accepted. I revisited the books again, one after the other. I put them away.

I made several friends in cyberspace, some of which are accomplished writers. I’ve learned from them. I seem to be in an ever evolving world.

It’s a brand new day. I’ve learned so much over the past four, I look back at my early attempts and wonder what the hell I was thinking. Do I know everything I need to know about the biz now? Of course not, but I know enough to keep me out of trouble.

I’ve begun the query process again after all this time. I’m on the hunt for an agent to champion my work. I have a good feeling about this round, but only time will tell.

I’ll keep you posted.

13 Comments:

At 5:09 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

Oh, the heartache! That's exactly the reason I've put any sort of writing on hold... For now, at least. There's too much "chick-lit" out there already, and my chances are pretty slim. So I just stick to blogging right now.

The thing is, I actually have all the time in the world to tackle such a project. I sit on my rump roast all day and play with my kiddies. And you, you have a full-time job, little league and Ty's other extracurricular activities, you support Mrs Goody's running for various charities, you go to church, and you are just so busy in day-to-day life... But you still find a way to write novels and short stories. And you've been published.

All that, in itself, is a great accomplishment. You should be darn proud of yourself just for that, even if someone rejects your work every now and then. They have to publish something eventually--How could they not? You're very talented. Keep on writing when you're not too busy being Super Dad/Super Husband/Super co-Worker/ Super Friend/Super Everything.

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

You'll get there, James.

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Oh, don't get me wrong, Leslie, i am quite proud of my accomplishments to date. I was just thinking about how far I have come and thought I would share.

Thank you, Bernita. I hope we all share a litte time at the top. :D

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger lime said...

i can't wait to hear about the progress and i count it a priviledge that you shared one of those works with me and welcomed my feedback.

in other writerly news, my brother just had a story accepted for alfred hitchcock's mystery magazine. i'm so excited for him.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

I appreciate your opinion, Lime. That is fantastic news for your brother. send him my heartfelt congrats... :D

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Carrie. It couldn't hurt. :D

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger barefoot_mistress said...

Oh man, I could never be a pro writer, all that rejection would drive me crazy...
Of course, my ceartions gets rejected everyday...in my shop....all the NOT BOUGHT stuff, sitting there, and I could, I guess take it personally, but rather...I take it like, the right person just hasnt found it yet!
Good luck with your writing, James!

 
At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I can top the comments before mine but I would like to say That I am your biggest fan and I know that with your creative mind and determination you will be successful in any area you decide to go.
A very proud MoM
Love ya

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

That's a good way to look at it, Barefoot. :D

Thanks, Ma. :D

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, James. It's always interesting when writers share their struggles and climb to the top of the writing heap. You will get there! I have faith in you.

Good hunting! Ohmigosh! I just noticed I do not have a link to you on my blog!! I'll add you to my list of "Cool People Who Put Up With Me!"

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Breazy said...

I am no professional on critiquing someones writing but I am a lover of books and I will tell you that I really love anything that you have written and posted on here.

I have my fingers crossed for you and wish you the best . I am so excited about reading your first published book!

Have a wonderful day!

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol, thanks, Liz. I really feel like I will, but it has definately been a learning experience so far. Oh, and thanks for the add. :D


Thanks, Breazy. Your support over the years has been greatly appreciated. :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.