Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Dar-Wednesday

Before we move on to Darwinesque entertainment, let me apologize for my long absence. I had several computer woes that were only resolved yesterday. I hope to be back to posting on a regular basis now.

So, without further ado… it’s time for another installment of The Darwin Awards.

(28 April 1998) Bob Herschler, 77, of Olympia, WA, died from burns suffered last week after he placed a smoldering pipe in his shirt pocket. The pipe ignited a book of matches and soon Bob's clothing was ablaze.

Family members quickly extinguished the fire, but not before he suffered third-degree burns to his chest and abdomen. The Thurston County resident died at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle of pneumonia brought on by his burns.

(31 March 1998) In a related story, the life of Reiva Nix, a 67-year-old grandmother living in Egdewood, TX, was claimed in a tragic accident on March 31. She was cleaning her tennis shoes with gasoline when a nearby candle ignited the shoes which Reiva was still wearing.

Alone at the time of the accident, she ran next door for help, and her neighbor extinguished the fire with a water hose. She died from burn wounds at 2AM at the Parkland Hospital in Dallas.

Investigators noted that her flammable 65% polyester clothing contributed to the blaze. Chief Corbett said several people have told him they clean their shoes with gasoline. He cautioned others to be careful when using gasoline in any way.

12 Comments:

At 5:16 AM, Blogger lime said...

yay!!!! you're back!!!!! my wednesday is complete!

you'd think anyone anal retentive enough to need clean tennis shoes (which i think were designed to get dirty) would also be fastidious enough to handle gasoline with care. then again, needing meticulsouly clean sneakers is sort of indicative of unstable mental health and faulty reasoning....(apologies if there are readers or authors of this post who are so concerned about sneakers)

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

I'll have you know my sneakers are immaculant. :D Just kidding. The only time I clean them is if step in a puddle or get big chunks of mud on them somehow.

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger lime said...

lol, that's reasonable and permissible. ;)

 
At 5:57 AM, Anonymous Linda said...

I am glad to see you are back to!! I know we talk on the phone but I just enjoy reading your blog so much.
Have a great day and stay away from gasoline!!!!!
Love
MoM

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

Holy crap! You're alive! YAY!!

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Breazy said...

YAY!!! Your back to posting . I have really missed reading you !

Thank God I don't smoke pipes , well if I did I wouldn't put it in my pocket while it was still smoldering.. lol!

Cleaning tennis shoes with gasoline.. I have never heard of that nor would I ever try it . Most stores nowadays sell shoe cleaner for any shoes , I will stick with that thank you ! LOL!

James you have a wonderful day!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Welcome back! It was lonely clicking on your blog and not seeing a new post. :)

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Welcome back James! And my apologies to you, for getting you quoted on the page 69 test.

Cleaning with gasoline? Not the brightest bulb on the shelf...

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thank you everyone. It's good to know I was missed.

:D

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Dear Wednesday,

I still have computer woes. How dare you neglect me for Goody!

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger snavy said...

I think Lime may have insulted me.

I throw my Ked's in the washer though. Cleaning them or any article of clothing with gasoline is jackasinine.

Welcome back James!!

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger EA Monroe said...

Hey, James, you're back! It's good to see your smiling face again! Hope you stocked up on supplies for this weekend's bad weather -- well, bad according to the OK weatherguys.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.