Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Run, Shelly, Run

It was a chilly fall morning in Tulsa, not uncommon for November. The day started out like many others. Woke up early, for a Sunday anyway, to the smell of coffee. My wife and I exchanged excited glances as we sipped from our steaming cups of Joe. We tried not to talk about what was to come, though it was all that was on either of our minds. There was to be enough pressure for the day without dwelling on the whatifs and possibilities.

By 6:45 a.m. we were dressed for the occasion and out the door. We circled around downtown, navigating side streets because the main thoroughfares were blocked off. By the time I dropped her off near the starting line, I think I was as nervous as she was. This was the day, the culmination of months of training. This was the day that we would find out what she was made of, if she trained enough, if her body would be strong enough. This was the day of her first marathon, The Route 66 Marathon.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I’m here to tell you…my wife is an amazing woman. Not only did she complete the entire 26.2 mile course, but the last mile was uphill and into a head wind. She did all this in just over 4 ½ hours. She RAWKS!

I can’t tell you how proud I am of her. This is truly a great accomplishment.

She is in healing mode now. As you might guess, she is quite sore. Her body held up, but it is protesting the abuse. So, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go tend to her.

My Baby’s Big Day

6 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Jerry said...

And she's still smiling. She does rawk! Congratulations!

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger lime said...

congratulations, shelly! that is no small accomplishment! very well done! mr. lime has done a couple of marathons so i've witnessed all the training and the aftermath. way to go!!

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous linda said...

that is a smile of pride and happiness.. well done Shelly I am sooooo proud of you.
Love
MoM G.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Go Shelly! I have never ran in a marathon but I know it is a lot of hard work.

Now wait on her for her needs.

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lady Goody, I can't run around the block. You are SO awesome! Congratulations. You so deserve to wear that joyful smile.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'll make sure she gets by here to read them today. :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.