Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Oh, Yeah!!!!

I’m on the mend. More than that, I’m way ahead of schedule. My crutches are history. The doctor removed my cast yesterday and after a brief examination gave me several pieces of good news.

The biggest one of course is the whole no crutches thing. I had managed to get those down to a fine art, often carrying things with both hands while using them, but I’ve never been so happy to see a stage of my life end ever.

I have what they call a cam walker now. Basically, it is a big boot with Velcro straps and iron bars to keep your foot in place. He said I must wear it religiously for the first two weeks. Then I can start phasing it out on my own, if I’m feeling adventurous.

I get to start my physical therapy on Monday. Up until about two weeks ago, we were under the impression that PT wouldn’t start until December, but then we were also under the same impression about the crutches.

When I go back to the doctor in four weeks, there is a high likelihood that I will be released from the boot as well. Just judging by the difficulties I’m having right now, I would have to say I will probably have to use a cane for a while, but hey I suppose that’s not terribly out of place with an old man like me.

What’s the deal with muscle atrophy? My goodness, folks, my left calf is literally half the size of my right one. The calf “muscle” has about the feel of a tiny water balloon dangling from the back of my leg. Six weeks of rarely touching the floor will do that to leg I suppose.

He still cautions that it will likely be anywhere from six months to a year before I can make my triumphant return to my dojo, but I should be getting around fairly well by Christmas.

11 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Anonymous linda said...

Hey Son, it's me MoM, I know we already spoke about this but I just wanted to tell you again I am happy for you But, Don't over do it. and about the cane thing and being "old" careful there thats makes me even "older" LOL
have a great day
love
MoM

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Awe, your mom is sweet.

Good for you! I'm so glad that you are improving so quickly.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Southern Writer said...

What's the deal with muscle atrophy? My goodness, folks, my left calf is literally half the size of my right one. The calf "muscle" has about the feel of a tiny water balloon dangling from the back of my leg. Six weeks of rarely touching the floor will do that to leg I suppose.

Well, now I understand what happened to my ass, since it is so seldom moved from this chair.

Congrats on healing quickly. Have a sharp looking cane picked out? You should call some antique stores and see if they have any. I just googled some nice ones.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol, thanks, mom.

Much obliged,Carrie.

Oh, I'll have to check try the google route, Lesia. I appreciate that.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger lime said...

really wonderful news! i'm so delighted for you! and yes, that muscle atrophy is a crazy thing. i hardly recognized my arm when they took the cast off.

work hard at PT but not too hard, you'll know the difference if you listen to your body. if you've healed up this quickly already i am betting you'll do great in PT.

as for that cane, i think we need to find you something amusing if you'll be using one. hehehehe......*runs off to search for 'appropriate' canes*

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol. I'm definately gonna sport a cane that will be at the vary least, a conversation starter. :D

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Patry Francis said...

Glad to hear you're on the mend! (And loved your story in Spinetingler)

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Jerry said...

Goody,
The thing I remember about getting my leg cast off was the skinny calf on that leg. Also, all the hair on my leg had died off. So I had a bald skinny white leg and a tub full of hair. Kinda gross, but it's worth it to ditch the crutches. You may be walking like a duck for a while with the cane.

Congratulations!

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Oh that is great news, James!
Canes can be sexy. There are some extraordinarily fancy ones. All gentlemen used to sport a cane!

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thank you, Patry, I'm glad you liked it. :D

lol, Jerry. Yeah, the first bath afterwards was pretty darn icky.

Thanks, Bernita. I may have to keep the cane even after I heal after those words. :D

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

When I fractured my 5th metatarsal the day after Easter, that boot you're now wearing was referred to me as a "walking cast" or a "space boot". It was disgustingly hot down here, and that thing made my foot sweat so much, even without socks, that it shrunk to half the size of my other foot. I looked like I got the wrong foot transplant. Since I was only wearing my right sho everywhere, I had lost all my left shoes by the time I got out of the boot. I spent a whole day reuniting all my shoes. Surprisingly, when I wore heels to church, it evened my height with no limp as the boot had a couple of inches of super tread on the bottom.

Glad you're improving at a rapid pace. Since you're still a bit out of commission, we'll have to sit on our asses and play tons of Scene-It and spades the week of Thanksgiving when we invade your house.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.