Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Black Thursday

Well, as some of you may already know, my company just initiated a massive layoff, the biggest in our history. It happened late Thursday afternoon. Sadly, there is another round coming, but it looks like I’ll survive that one as well.

We lost some really good folks here. The only positive I can garner from it, is that the slimy backstabbing bastard who was making my life a living hell for awhile was the first to go. Even that is no comfort. After he got smacked down and moved out of my life, the experience humbled him. He actually became quite likeable again, willing to do anything in the world to help you. Life is strange sometimes…

I just hope they see fit to keep me around until my leg heals up. The prospect of going to interviews while on crutches, makes the process that much scarier.

To all of those fine people (not the scumbags and deadweight mind you) who lost their job, you will be missed.

9 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, Blogger lime said...

oh, that is such a hard thing...to be glad you were spared but know so many who were not. best wished james, i hope thhings stay stable for you too.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger EA Monroe said...

I know what that's like -- being laid off (without notice) and watching others thrown into the same situation. It hurts, especially when unexpected. Hopefully, another door of opportunity opens and life's better than before, although it sure doesn't seem like it at the time. The best of luck, James!

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Hurtful times.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Lime. I have a sneaking suspicion that my recent injury played no small part in their decision to relocate me into a different department. I guess there really is good in everything bad that happens.

Thanks, EA. It was really hard, especially telling people who have worked so hard for me over the years that they have to move on. It sucks, but hopefully as you say, it just means they are meant for other opporutnites, maybe even better ones.

They are indeed, Bernita.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

Aww, poor sods. I hate hearing about this kind of thing. Some people struggle money-wise with a job so without...makes me want to cry. I've been in that situation for many years before. Bless them all.

:o)

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

I can only hope they all land on their feet...

 
At 4:40 AM, Anonymous Robin said...

James, thank goodness you'll weather through the lay-offs. Because of your recent injury (so sorry), I got very worried when I started reading your post.

The instability of jobs is one of the most frightening things in the world, isn't it?

On a happier note, my daughter came and looked over my shoulder while I wrote this.

"James," she said, using an English accent. "Hey, Mom. His names is James, and he looks just like James Bond!"

:~)

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol, tell her I said thank you very much, Robin. :D

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

Hope you and Mrs G stay safe from the layoff monster.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.