Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, August 14, 2006

A Wing And A Prayer

I wanted to thank everyone for their concerned emails and comments during my unannounced blogging vacation. I’m fine, the family is fine…life is good. There was an incident, there was a trip to the ER, and there was a lot of tsk tsks and shaking of heads, but everything turned out ok. Be sure to tune in on Wednesday for a special edition of The Darwin Awards.

And now for something completely different…


My wife is flying to the UK today. She’s more than a little anxious about the trip. With the latest attempted act of terrorism happening so recently, I can’t really blame her. It’s not the trip over that bothers her, but the trip back. I think I’ve convinced her that right now (and probably the next few months) should be the safest possible time to fly. Everyone’s scared to death and that means everyone is paying extra close attention to security.

Having said that, it wasn’t airport security that thwarted this last plot (or any other that I’ve heard of). It was good ol’ fashion intel. Still the result is the same: Big brother is watching. You’re not getting on a plane without anything short of a cavity check and I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see more of that in the near future for all the good it will do them. Sadly, I’m not so sure any of it actually does anything more than harass the innocent traveler. Still, if there’s even a remote chance that an extra set of hoops to jump through will keep another plane from being used as a bomb, I suppose I’m just fine subjecting myself to the hassle.

What’s your take on it? Does the added security give you peace of mind or is it just a giant pain in the ass that won’t deter anyone but the old fashion nut-job hijackers?

10 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, Blogger lime said...

well given that i have this nice chunk of metal in my arm that will be tripping metal detectors for the rest of my life i need to sort of be resigned to the whole cavity check thing.....i'm hoping at least maybe i can personally select the security personnel that does the check.....hhhhmmm, you look like a strapping lad, where did you say we have to go for the 'inspection'?

i'm not really sure what to think of all this. i guess mostly it seems like it's all a pain in the ass designed for show. i think there are probably still some gaping security holes that could be fixed with less disturbance (amd panic) to the general public. that being said, i do think the brits have a better handle on dealing with terrorists, given the history with IRA, than we do. I think our security is Keystone Kops (make a lot of noise and activity and hope it fools ppl) and theirs is somewhat more coordinated.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

The added security does give me some peace of mind. At least they're trying to ensure the safety, not just sitting back, doing nothing.

I went to Tunisia not long after Sept. 11, so I understand heightened security. I can imagine it must be nerve-wracking for you - I also went to London in the wake of the bombings there last year.

The most important thing is vigilence.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol, Lime. I guess there can be a positive to any situation.

I have to say, Sandra That, individual vigilence gives me greater peace of mind than airport vigilence.

I'm not necessarily an advocate for "My brother's keeper" but desperate times call for desperate measures.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

Glad to see you back ! As far as the extra security goes , I feel like it is a needed hassle because of what has happened in the last five years however , I don't fly so it isn't an inconvience to me . I haven't been on a plane since I was twelve years old . I also have this thing about heights that keeps my feet on the ground ! LOL! Have a good day and let us know how your wifes flight goes !

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Breazy. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

My daughter was at Heath that day...when you're not flying it's easy to consider it "all for show."
No security system is ever going to be perfect, but we have to try to not make it easy for the nut-jobs.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Good point, Bernita. I was kind of leading in the post, but I whole heartedly believe that something is better than nothing.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Dana Y. T. Lin said...

I don't mind the extra security. For the most part, they are pretty fast about it.

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

I hear you, Dana. I'm of the same opinion as my wife in at least one regard: I'd fly naked if it meant I had a safe flight.

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.