Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Pigskins and Pipsqueaks

My son started football last night. Sure, he went to the camp last week, but this is the first time he actually suited up and met the other players on his team. He was absolutely adorable in his micro-sized pads and his micro-sized jersey.

It was only his first practice, but he’s already showing potential. No, I didn’t see any bursts of lightning speed, no I didn’t feel the vibrations from any thunderous hits, and no it wasn’t a display of throwing/catching the ball. When the coaches spoke, he hung on their every word. He is hungry to learn. The skills may or may not come later, but he’s already on the right track by actually paying attention.

I tried to talk him into waiting another year before he strapped on the pads (I didn’t start playing football until I was in the fourth grade and I turned out just fine), but he really had his heart set on this year. I hope it’s not a mistake letting him start so young. I figure it will either make him a better player or cause him to burn out before high school. Only time will tell.

10 Comments:

At 6:28 AM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Hard to know, but if his heart is in it, it's nice that you let him give it a shot. Never hurts to encourage kids to be active, either!

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger lime said...

we agonized over when to let the kids start too. sports, music, art, writing. there's gotta be a love for it and a joy in it. i think it's fine since your lil guy was so eager. it's not like you were dragging him there. i hope he has a great season, learns lots and has tons of fun.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

If that is what he wants to do, I say "let him". My mom made me go to ballet classes and I fought it every week until she finally let me quit 6 years later. Oh how I am ready for some football.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

I hear that, Sandra. I suppose I should be grateful he doesn't want to spend all of his time playing video games. :D

Good Point, Lime. and it definately seems to bring him joy (so far).

Me too, Carrie (the football, not the ballet). I can honestly say, that my parents never made me play a sport I didn't like. Now, having said that, if I started a season, I was going to finish, but I didn't have to do it again the next year.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

Oh bless him! A proud moment. All my boys played soccer from an early age. The eldest two are going off it now (ages 14, 10) but they eight year old loves it.

:o)

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

It is, M.E., I'm glad your sons love sports as well. :D

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

Well, Ty's not big and beefy like most football players, but he's got that aerodynamic quality about him--Maybe he could run really super fast and make touchdowns. Good luck to Ty with football. Go team!

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Hee, you're naturally a little worried - but proud.
Chip off the old block.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Leslie, I'll pass that along.


lol, I hope he isn't too much of a chip off the old block, Bernita. I was pretty honery in my early days. :D

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Mature bbw adult pics Come off safely zoloft Zoloft prosecutors manual hip hop girls black pussy types retirement plans High school student cooking nutrition business life ca insurance small http://www.virtual-flowers-9.info/Late-period-on-yasmin.html bentley car alarm Baby 18 weeks old im losing hair Free fax printer software Gay amateur action Free milf riders movies- jewel Jansport backpacks spring break With cpu Transexual doing men discipline bondage Amature+large+tits black blonde ebony hardcore lesbian sex site teen

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.