Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Movie Review: V for Vendetta

Finally a movie that doesn’t shove an agenda in your face and dare you to question authority. Yeah, I didn’t make it through that one. Instead we watched V for Vendetta. People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

I loved this movie. It was fast paced, edgy and carried a strong message. My wife gave it a solid, “Meh”, but I must note that she watched the entire thing.


Synopsis:
In the not too distant future, the world is plunged into chaos. Fear is used to fool people into thinking more government intervention is the only way they will survive, leading to the bleak landscape of a totalitarian Britain.
One man (Hugo Weaving) dares to expose the truth: The government is the real entity to be feared.
With an unlikely accomplice (Natalie Portman), he sets out to free the true patriots of his homeland from the iron grip of a ruthless dictator (John Hurt).
Ok, the government and future depicted in the film are oh, dear dog I can only pray a deeply exaggerated vision of our current world powers, but there are certain aspects that don’t look too far fetched.
Political messages aside, this movie is down right entertaining.

Rating: five stars.



Image hosted by Goody’s World

15 Comments:

At 5:32 AM, Blogger lime said...

you know, for all the ads i ever saw of this movie i never had the slightest idea what it was about. thanks.

was your wife suspecting the the recent chlorine inhalation affected your judgement in movies?

and what's your thought on a bald natalie portman?

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Bald, long hair...she's hot.

lol, my wife often has a different opinion of what constitutes a good movie.

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger lime said...

too funny on natalie. and i think this a common point of difference between married couples. lol

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I have been wanting to see this movie. Just haven't got around to it. Maybe I will do it tonight since it is movie night. And yes, Natalie is totally hot.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

I think you're right, lime.

lol, Carrie, yes she is. let me know what you think of it once you've watched it.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

Hubby and Eldest Dau watched this the other night. No idea what it was about as I was blogging at the time, but I did glimpse at the TV every so often and saw some chick with a shaved head.

Poor moo!

Oh, and this guy with like a weird mask face on that gave me the wilburs.

:o)

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol, ME. At least your not overly suseptible to distractions. :D

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Ballpoint Wren said...

Put me in the "meh" camp. Hubby and I were rocking along with this movie, both of us really enjoying it, and then at one point we both looked at each other and went, "WHAT?!"

It was like we were tricked. After that the whole movie was blown for us.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Ah, these things happen. :D I'm thinking your tastes probably run more along the lines of my wife's then. I'll make a more conscious effort to include her views on movies when I do the next set of reviews (well, except for the one's I'm watching while she's in the UK :D)

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger snavy said...

My hubby liked this movie. I haven't seen it yet. I agree about NP though - she is hot!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

That she is... :D

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger EA Monroe said...

Hi James,
My husband and I liked this movie, too. Goes to show how thin the line between trust, especially with the hero/villain character.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Oh, most definately, one that is hard to bridge and easy to break.

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous patrick said...

watched V for Vendetta recently, loved it. eye-candy effects, amazing how much character they developed into a mask, then again, maybe he was more than a mask...

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger James Goodman-Horror Writer said...

oh, yeah...that movie was awesome. I had to go out and buy it after renting it. Good stuff indeed.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.