Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Just One of Those Days

So, last night was my first night back to karate after my near miss with the spa chemicals. It was going pretty well, actually. I had a few coughing fits, but overall I felt pretty good about being back in the dojo. About forty five minutes into the session, as I was setting up for a switch kick, I fell to my knees. You see, for a proper switch kick, you use your lead leg as a distraction while you “load” your lag leg. I heard a loud smack and it felt like someone kicked the crap out of my left calf.

By the time my knees hit the floor I was already looking behind me for which turkey had hit me from behind. No one was close enough to have delivered a blow. In the split second it took me to form that thought in my mind a wave of nausea swept over me. What’s that all about? I thought. I pushed myself to my feet, knowing instantly that something was amiss. I couldn’t feel my heel. No, that doesn’t quite accurately describe the sensation. I knew it was there, but it was a lot lighter than it should be.

I limped over to a chair and began a little self-examination. It didn’t take long to realize that I could see my Achilles Tendon on my left ankle. Yep, I blew it smooth out…gone…no longer attached…no longer able to move my foot correctly.

I called my wife and she came, picked me up and rushed me to the ER. Thank goodness, we rushed. It only took them eight, that’s right I said eight hours to get me in and out of there. I was nearly stupid with pain and sleep deprivation by seven o’clock this morning.

They took some x-rays (to make sure no bones were broken as well) and set me up with a nifty little splint and some crutches. Just call me Hop Along for…well, a long time. I meet with the surgeon in the morning for MRIs to assess exactly how bad the damage is. Then I will have surgery this week to dig the tendon (pieces?) out of my calf and re-attach them to my heel. They will let the incision heal for about two weeks, then I get a new cast every six months with my foot in a different position for each. Every iteration takes my foot a little closer to resting in a 90 degree angle with my leg. For the seventh month, I’ll get to wear one of those nifty “space boot” contraptions with the Velcro straps. Then, the real fun begins…physical therapy. Woot! I can’t wait…

But then, I guess I will be doing a lot of waiting. It looks like it will be every bit of a year before I’ll be able to truly enjoy any of my athletic pastimes. Oh well, it could have been worse…I could have popped them both.

So, how’s your day going?

15 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Blogger lime said...

oh my god, james. i am soooo sorry. i thought something must be amiss and perhaps it was still regarding transportation issues. that's awful. 'stupid with pain while waiting for medical attention' i know it well. please keep us posted and know you're in my prayers for a recovery that defies worst prediction. i'm glad it wasn't worse but i am so sorry for this.

come join me on the rock....i've got an obscenely expensive bottle of wine. name your poison and i'll get it for you. oh and i have some left over darvocet and vicodin. we can have a grand time pondering physical limitations and comparing scars!

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger lime said...

btw, how serious are you about wanting the robbery story? if it puts a smile on your face i'll do it for a tuesday

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol, let's make it happen Lime. Sounds like a helluva good time to me. :D

And yep, I sincerely want to hear the robbery story.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

James... I just feel the need to tell you that things often happen in threes. And with the recent Dar Wednesday special and this, if I were you, I wouldn't go out anywhere for a long time. You need your aura cleansed or something!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger snavy said...

James - I am so sorry! What an ordeal!!

The tendon just snapped?? I hope the pain is subsiding.

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger lime said...

nods at sandra.....BE CAREFUL! we don't want anything else hideous happening!

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Geesus, James!
That is seriously rough.
I don't know which is worse, the heel or the knee.
But thank God for micro-surgery.

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

Holy crap, Dude! Geez! No more grasshopper for you, eh?

I think the technical term for one of those "space boots" is walking cast. I was in one for what seemed like forever when I fractured my 5th metatarsal the day after Easter.

Surgery? Casts? Physical therpay? I hope you stop hurting soon! Geez, man! Sit down, relax, put your feet up, and stop getting yourself into accidents!

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Breazy said...

Oh my goodness ! I am so sorry to hear about your injury. I will keep you in my prayers ! Just keep us updated on how you are doing . I also agree with Sandra , things happen in threes so your wife needs to purchase you some body paddind keep you on the couch for bit . If you get tired of hanging out with Lime and her vicodin , I have some too ! LOL!

(I would actually love to spend a day with Lime because it would be so much fun to be face to face with all that humor she has ! )

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

I hear you, Sandra. My wife and I were discussing this yesterday. We've had several things happen in the last couple of weeks, but I'm not sure if any of them qualify to be part of this threesome. I can only hope because I don't like where this is heading, lol.

Yep, snavy. POP goes the tendon, lol. I'm still hurting, but I have some groovy new pills to dull the pain.

I met with the surgeon this morning, Bernita and what he described didn't seem nearly as horrible or would take as long to heal as what the ER guys said.

lol, Leslie, no more grasshopper for a while, but I still haven't recieved that elsusive black belt.


I will, Lime.


Oh me too, Breazy. I think we should have a big party in some central location so we could all meet each other face to face someday. :D

 
At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Jerry said...

James,
Like they say, that's gonna leave a mark. You poor bastard. Just don't say, "Now what else can happen to me". Don't tempt fate.

Get well soon, Buddy!

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Southern Writer said...

OMG. See? You should have let me look at your chart. That is just terrible! I'm so sorry for you. When they tell you to stay off it -STAY OFF OF IT. They aren't kidding. My sister hobbled around on a broekn heel "just a bit" and ended up in a wheelchair for six months. And look on the bright side. You now have more time to blog, finish your novel, watch movies, and well, my mind has leapt into the gutter, so I'll just stop there. It's none of my business who gets on top. Just enjoy yourself for a while and stick to the sofa where you aren't likely to meet with anymore catastrophes.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Ballpoint Wren said...

Ouchee wah wah... I am so very sorry about this, James. Painful doesn't begin to describe it. It's very debilitating.

My girlfriend blew both of her achilles tendons out (volleyball!) and after surgery and physical therapy, she's back to playing.

She was a fiend for doing exactly what the physical therapist told her to do, though. So if you do the same, I think you'll still get that black belt.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol, Jerry. Thanks, I will oh, and I appreciated you calling to check up on me yesterday.

:D Lesia, I will keep off of it as much as possible. I am looking forward to have more time dedicated to writing, be it a blog post, novel or short story...

Yep, Bonnie, very dibilitating. and today I'm barely lucid on top of everything else.

Oh your poor friend. I can't imagine having twice this pain let alone the logistics with having both legs compromised.

I'll aspire to be rather fiendish myself when my PT starts. I want that black belt bad. I don't know why, but I really really do. :D

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger xanthus said...

We chem guys don't get a lot of swimming pool chemicals till we get "really" famous - but we live and breathe our swimming pool chemicals regardless. swimming pool chemicals
Keith
http://www.onlinepoolchemicals.co.uk

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.