Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A Mother of a Day

Well, we didn’t make it to the lake yesterday. We gathered all of our equipment, slathered up with sun-block and started prepping the boat for launch. I finished checking all of the fluid levels, climbed into the Captains chair, performed my systems check, raised the transom to full tilt, turned the key and…nothing. It looks like my starter’s dead and being a holiday weekend, it won’t be fixed anytime soon. Ah, the joys of owning a boat.

Some of you may remember that every year my sister-in-law and her crew run a Fireworks Stand to raise money for their children’s athletic endeavors. After the disappointment of the boat, we decided to console ourselves with large quantities of explosive devices. We bought the pyromaniacs dream, a bundled box dubbed simply, The Ultimate. This box ‘O fireworks is jammed packed with artillery shells, missile banks, rockets, fountains, boom sticks and well, you get the picture.

By the time night fell, we were chomping at the bit for some serious ohs and ahs. I lit up the skies with beautiful lights and echoed the streets with cacophonous wonder. I just lit the fuse on an 8 bank aerial display when a car pulled up in front of my house. Not sure how close they could come to the fireworks, I held up a hand to make sure they didn’t drive passed while it was going off. It was a cop car and he…wasn’t happy.

The police officer explained that we are officially considered inside the city limits now. This is the first year this has happened, but to be fair, shops, restaurants and other commercial goodies have sprung up all around us in the last year. He went on to let me know that this was just a warning, but if he came back, I would be ticketed. Fun hater… Just kidding, he looked really apologetic and he was in the position to be a real dick, but wasn’t. He was just doing his job and had a busy night ahead of him as nearly every other house in my neighborhood was breaking the law.


On a completely different subject, I received my first skinny envelope for the revised version of Darkness on the Plains yesterday as well. Let the rejections begin…

I’m hoping today goes a little smoother.


Happy Independence Day to one and all. Please take a minute to think about our troops today. If you see a soldier, be sure to give them your thanks for their efforts at preserving our freedom.

8 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Well bugger! about the fireworks, James.
I usually have to restrain myself from hugging every soldier I see.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Good on you for that, Bernita. *Runs back to his uniform on* :D

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger lime said...

rats about the boat. rats about city limits. rats about DOP (do that revision we discussed) glad at least the cop wasn't a complete jerk about things.

here's a hug in consolation and to thank you for your service (((james)))

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks Lime, and yeah, I think I'm going to go ahead with that revision in the next week or so.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

You're not allowed to set off fireworks at your own home? In the UK it's still cool to do them in your garden.

Nice policeman though!

:o)

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

That's cool. We (America) started regulating because of the enourmous number of houses that historically burn down during the holiday.

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous snavy said...

Sorry about the boat - no fun at all!

We had our own fireworks Saturday at the lake - they were great but I kept thinking the pine trees were going to catch fire.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Now, that would have been a spectacular display of patriotism. Can I have a supersized pyrotechnic display? :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.