Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Home and Yet not...

We’re having a wonderful weekend (yeah mine isn’t over until Wednesday). Made it home with my son Friday night, but we had a few minor detours. We were talking, laughing and just generally catching up on all the things he did while he was away; next thing I knew I see a sign that says: “Topeka 35 miles”. Yep, I missed my exit some forty miles before and had to do some serious backtracking. Oddly enough we didn’t mind, it was just that much more time to visit.

We’ve played games, hung out, rode our bikes along the river (Ty and I rode, my wife ran ten miles), watched movies and just generally enjoyed each other’s company.

We are leaving for the lake in about an hour. It is my great hope that since today isn’t an actually holiday, the lakes won’t be overly crowded. My son loves to wakeboard and he says that’s one of the things he missed most while he was away. I expressed an interest in shredding some wake myself, but my wife was quick to remind me my shoulder injury may be the worse for the experience. I guess I will just drive for the day.

I did manage to finish a book this weekend, The Path of the Meteor by David Niall Wilson. This book was written and published in a nearly impossible short span of time to test out a new printing technology. As such, it has several errors. This would normally be too distracting to enjoy the story, but David did such a wonderful job filling out the characters, I couldn’t help but love this story. Sex, blood and Rock ‘N Roll. This is a story of great musicians, fierce hunters, ancient fears and a crumbling mountain keep. Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Be sure to check it out if you get a chance.




So, what did you do over the weekend?

15 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

What did I do. Hmm, not an awful lot now I think of it!

No writing done at all this weekend. Watched the world cup matches. Really is too hot here to do anything but sit and loaf about!

:o)

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Oh yeah, I listen to BBC1 on my satellite radio and that's all they are talking about right now (The World Cup). My wife was suppossed to fly to manchester last week but they postponed it until all of the world cup mania dies down a bit.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger lime said...

i sure hope you get your shoulder back in order soon so you can be back to the fun. i've avoided certain things i love due to my arm...

so glad you are having a great time back together.

sat. i went to a picnic celebrating the safe return of 2 friends from iraq. sunday was a b-day party for my son's best buddy.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Watched kids re-mortar the front patio, clipped weeds, checked my e-mail every five minutes....

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Me too, Lime. I know your finally back behind the wheel, but are you getting back to some of the other things you've missed? Horray for the troops whove returned.

Bernita, that sounds like as fine a way as any to spend a weekend. :D

As you can see by the time, we didn't make it to the lake. The boat wouldn't start. Ah...the joins of being a boat owner. :D

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger lime said...

james, i'm finding that summer is showing me many things i'm missing. couldn't play volleyball at the picnic and i'm going to MD next week to hang out at the Elk River next week, but i won't be swimming out in the deep water like i usually do or waterskiing. that being said, i am still thankful for each new thing i can do (i can definitely feel strength beginning to return) and i trust that next summer i'll be back in full swing. thanks for asking:)

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Ah, I'm becoming a big fan of the , "there's always next year" camp. I'm glad to hear your making progress though, even if it does seem slow for you.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Glad to hear you had a good time catching up with your son James.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Sandra. I hope your cycle of three catastrophes is finally at an end.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger David Niall Wilson said...

James, you'll be happy to know that a MUCH revised version of that book is with a NYC editor now...hopefully everyone will get a chance to meet Rosa, Copper, and the gang..

DNW

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Hey, Dave! Oh, absolutely! Like I said, I loved the story, the typos where my my only problem with the thing.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

Sounds like fun ! I stayed home and cleaned because I leave on Saturday for the beach and I have a full week ahead of me before saturday gets here and I don't want to try to do everything friday . We did go to a bbq at a friends that evening. Happy Independence Day !

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

What did we do over the weekend? We sat around on our butts like we always do. Nothing exciting happens in LJ. A visit from you guys might fix that...

 
At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Jerry said...

Goody,
I was at the lake too (Ft. Gibson). Had a great time helping a friend set up jug lines. Then his boat conked out at the dock. I got the last ride.

Back in Indiana now.

Better nurse that shoulder back into shape.

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Breazy, I so miss the beach, one of these days I'll have to remedy that, by visiting Leslie. :D

Leslie, I hope that trip happens in the not to distant future.

Jerry, at least you guys made it to the dock. The other way is a big ol' pain in the rear. :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.