Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Friday Already?

Ah, things are finally starting to calm down around here. I’m nearly caught up on all the work that stacked up my desk while I was on vacation. I’m not sure how it happened, but I was only gone for six days and accumulated nine days worth of work. Fuzzy math seems to be in effect this week.

Sadly, I’m playing catch up by myself. My wife flew out for Durham, England on Wednesday. She will be gone for an eternity ten days. I miss her already.

I do have some good news on the writing front. My short story, The New Kid, will be in the Fall 2006 Issue of Spinetingler Magazine. This is a great magazine. They publish some absolutely amazing stories. I had the privilege of reading their 2005 Anthology and all I can say is…wow. It was an absolute delight to read.

Having said all that, I seem to be suffering from a touch of…performance anxiety. Last night, after I tucked my son in, I sat at my desk with the intention of pounding out a few chapters of my new novel. I drew a blank. I read back over the first few pages I wrote before I left and…nothing. I’m hoping my muse is just recouping from the trip and will be back at my ear soon. I know it’s something that happens to every writer at some point, but it still sucks when it happens to you.

I have a few techniques I’ve employed in the past with varying degrees of success, so I’m not overly concerned at this point. It does, however, provide an excellent opportunity for an interactive post. What do you do to overcome writer’s block?

For those of you who aren’t writers, what do you do to get through a task that should be second nature to you, but you just can’t seem to accomplish?

11 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Small goals. Sometimes, just a quick checklist of little things, like emailing 5 people I haven't written in a while or something.

I think there are times we just need to clear our head, let the creative pool rise a bit until we're just bursting. Of course, editing always makes me want to abandon that and write something fresh...

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger lime said...

well, i'm not a writer but many things that were second nature are suddenly challenging so i go at them from enirely different angles now. teeth, toes, legs, chin to chest are now all functioning as a second hand when they need to.

dunno if that has any application to the writing process other than to say go at it from a direction you'd never try otherwise. of course it could be the drugs talking to and i could be full of crap. lol

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Sandra, that's pretty close to what I try to do now. I just write something other than what I'm stuck on and it usually breaks something free.

Lime, oddly enough, I think that applies to writing as well. Thanks for the input!

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger E. Ann Bardawill said...

I'll keep an eye out for your story.
Congrats!!

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thank you, very much. I hope you enjoy it. :D

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Dana Y. T. Lin said...

Congrats, James, on your story! Can't wait!!!

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thank you, Dana. I can't wait either. :D

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Durham!
Tees Valley.
My setting...
Lucky girl.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Aye, she just called me from Scotland. They had some time to kill so they decided to traipse around Edinburgh.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger M. G. Tarquini said...

Congrats on the story, James!

You know, I think when you get that stuck, you just have to put in the required time staring at the blinking cursor. With these revisions I'm working on, I am singularly uninspired. I can not do them, but that won't help. So...I stare. The other day, I actually got an entire chapter revised. I wanted to give a party. Now I'm stalled with revising the next chapter.

I'd rather have a root canal. At least they give me nitrous when they do it.

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, M.G. I hear you on the revisions. Good luck with the next chapter.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.