Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Twilight Zone

I had a ton of errands to run the other day. As I bounced from locale to locale, I realized the time had slipped well past my usual lunch break and decided to stop for something quick to eat.

The golden arches came into view when I turned the next corner. Most days, it doesn’t get much quicker than good ol’ Micky Ds. When I pulled into the parking lot, the drive-thru line was just damned near ridiculous but the open parking slots abounded, so I parked and ventured inside.

I strolled in and took a glance at the big screen plasma TV hanging on the polished red wood walls. I watched a kids head appear and disappear between the plants that occupied the spaces between the brass poles to my left. This is no longer the McDonalds I remember. I vaguely reminded of a Fuddruckers or Red Robin. Or order my burger and find a place to sit. No sooner do I unwrap the Big Mac an attendant stops by to see if everything is alright with my order.

“Everything seems to be in order,” I say with a shrug.
“Well, would you like a refill or anything?”
“Thanks, but I haven’t even had a sip of this one yet.”
“Well, if you do…you just let me know, ok?”
“Will do.”

I watch her walk away wondering if I will need to start tipping when I eat there. I get a few bites into my burger when another girl comes by and offers me a complimentary mint for after my meal.

Did I step into another dimension when I entered the front doors?

I wolf down the rest of my meal, anxious to be out of this twisted reality. I stand and pick up my tray only to have yet another woman rush up and relieve me of my burden.

“Oh, sir. Here let me get that for you,” she says with a bright smile as she stands in front of me and grips the tray.
“That’s ok, the receptacle is on my way out.”
“It’s no trouble, really.”
I release the tray realizing that she isn’t going to. As we discuss who is going to throw away my trash, nice lady number one joins us.

“Here, let me get you a refill for the road.”
“Actually, I was going to throw away the cup because I’m on my bike.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yeah…I have no cup holders.”
This was met by chipper laughter.
“Ok, then have a nice day and thanks for dining at McDonalds.”

Yes, I think that sums it up. I didn’t just drop by for a quick bite, I had a full on dining experience…under the golden arches. What a strange day that was.

Yet, not every experience is like that. I just talked to my sister-in-law earlier and she had a…less than pleasant time at the land of the Happy Meal. She went through the Drive thru and the kid behind the counter messed up the order she went in to fix it and they told her they would bring it out to her when it was ready. She waited and when they brought it out, they forgot the drinks. She goes back inside to correct it and the kid from the drive-thru yells expletives at her. Nice…

I wonder if he will still be working there when the managers are involved?

Yes, strange things are afoot under the golden arches he

14 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Don't even get me started on my McDonald's horror stories...

But that is weird.

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Lol, had a few strange experiences at McDonald's, have ya? :D

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

I am so glad that someone besides myself has had those strange experiences at McDonalds. I figure even though I am on a diet and I don't eat out much , by choice, so I figure that my kids shouldn't have to suffer missing their favorite , every-one-in-a-while meal from McD's. I went the other day and I ordered their food to go and I was offered a drink while I waited and several of the workers came up to me to see if everything with my visit was going okay. I never use the drive-thru there anymore because ours has a two-lane drive-thru now and it is always packed. Have a good day!

 
At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Jerry said...

Goody,
We have the old model of McDonald's here in Indiana. Slow. Chaos. Frustration.

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Breazy, I'm glad to hear it's not just me as well. You have a great day too!

Jerry, lol. Now that creates an image that would rival many of Happy Meal visits of my youth.

 
At 4:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like they were just flirting with you...ass

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

 
At 1:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
» »

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Dale thompson & the kentucky cadillacs lyrics Motor for land rover discovery Safety 1st convertible car seat Perrycraft roof rack for broncos hilo brokers gravel driveways n.c Zithromax before Butt jizz List of call centers pune 1995 dodge minivan Anal 2bsex

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » »

 
At 2:04 AM, Anonymous Kevin Lucas said...

I am interesting this songs his voice is very stagger.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.