Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Things that make you go hmm...

Well, I’ve been playing around with short stories and flash fiction for a few weeks now, but I think it’s time to return to my true love. I have an idea bouncing around in my tiny little mind that’s just begging to be set free.

I wrote a few more chapters for a sequel to Darkness on the Plains, but that just wasn’t where my mind wanted to be. I hear the call of something darker. I feel compelled to write something…horrible. I want to write something that affects the reader. I want to disturb. I want to explore new lows of human depravity. I want to someone to read the finished product and be…scarred, fucked up for life even. I want to hear about someone keeping my book in the freezer to protect them from the characters I’ve created. I want to scare myself. I want to have chills as I type.

The reality is, I’m just not to that point in my writing yet. Can I make memorable characters? I’d like to think so. Do I know how to build tension and even, dare I say, induce a bit of fear in the reader? So, I’ve been told. However, I don’t think anything I’ve written to date really gets under people’s skin. I hope to change that with this next book. Presumptuous, you might say and you’d probably be right, but it’s a goal.

If I’m doing my job, everything I write will bring me closer to being the writer I want to be. I’m a sponge, I take in everything from readers comments to out and out critiques from fellow writers. Do I apply everything I receive? Of course, not; quite frankly there are times when I get conflicting suggestions. I do look at what the underlying problem is and try to use that information to improve my craft.

So, eventually my books will have to come with warning labels, “Not to be read when alone with your thoughts” or something to that effect. Until then, your mind will be safe while buried between my pages.

3 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Some of the stuff you've written already has touches of that, so I won't be surprised if you produce it - maybe sooner than you think.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

You CAN make memorable characters, and I can't wait to see you do dark. That'll be fcukin' awesome!

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Bernita, thanks for that, I hope you're right.

Lol, Sandra, I'll be started soon. I just gotta get my mindset right before I dive in with both feet. I can't do dark when I'm sporting such a sunny disposition.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.