Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Review: Guilty Pleasures

I finished reading Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton .

This was a fun book. Anita Blake lives in a St. Louis where vampires, ghouls, zombies and were-animals are common place. When she’s not busy hunting the most evil of vampires, she’s raising the dead so they might answer questions from beyond the grave.

In a town where vampires are a tourist attraction, anything can happen. When someone starts murdering vampires, a few eye-brows are raised. When they realize that something is killing Master vampires, all hell breaks loose. THE Master Vampire, a thousand year old monster, “recruits” Anita to solve the murders. Anita has spent her life protecting humans from vampires, now she finds herself in the dangerous position of protecting vampires from something even worse. What could be more powerful than a Master? I guess you will just have to read to find out.

This book is a little Fantasy, a little Horror, a little Mystery, a little Noir, just a touch of Romance and a whole lot of good. Seriously, if you enjoy the paranormal at all, this genre-bending book is a must read.

Rating: 5 Stars




10 Comments:

At 5:01 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

So nice to see urban fantasy or whatever it's called be successful.

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Yes, indeed.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Sounds like you felt the genre cross-overs worked well for it - am I reading that right? Do you think books with more range bring a bigger audience?

Love the cover.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Yes, I think it worked very well for it. I think it's kind of a crap shoot as far as whether it will bring bigger audiences. For some books, it is a thing of beauty, for others all you do is alienate the audience that isn't into the other genres. I guess, what I'm saying is that as long as they touch on the genre without going full out in one direction or the other it will work. Does that make sense?

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger lime said...

who knew st. louis was vampire central??

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Yes, I think that makes sense James. Not alienating those unfamiliar is key.

LOL Lime!

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol, Lime, not me.

Sandra, perfect example, I bought Kim Harrison's Every witch way but dead. It had vampires and various other creatures of the night. It had a certain horror element to it, and a certain mystery, but the Romance element was too strong for my taste, so i didn't review it and i probably won't read another of her books.

 
At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Snavylyn said...

My mother-in-law bought me that book for Easter!! She told me - "I knew you liked that undead/witchcraft/vampire nonsense."

Ain't she sweet????

Cannot wait to read it!!!

 
At 4:40 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Cool, that is sweet, lol. You'll have to let me know if you liked it.

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!

make extra money

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.